Predator Rifle 204 vs 223

Caden McCourt

I am 14 and looking for a good predator rifle for everything from racoons to Cougars. I am really leaning to the ruger 204 with a thumbhole stock. I want to know what you guys think first. Is the 204 worth it?

when you threw cougar in I threw out the 204, there is a much better selection of ammo suitable for larger predators in the 223.

I would also think the thumb hole stock over a bit, while nice on the bench or in a single shot, working a bolt quickly with a thumb hole or taking the safety off is more difficult. I own a couple of thumb hole stocks and they are on target/varmint guns not predator hunting rigs.

I would also go with a 223 and not a thumbhole stock for a hunting gun. If you were on a bench or shooting colony varmints then I would go with a thumbhole.

Unless your traveling I don't think you will find many cougars in eastern Kansas all kidding aside I think the 223 makes the most sense here. For a young fella the availability and better price of ammo is a big deal too!

Well I absolutely love my 204. The guys who've replied though have valid points. Ammo is cheaper for the 223. Brass is cheap or free. It can be downloaded to 22 hornet velocities (actually it will go down to 22 lr velocities) and you can run it with 40gr bullets to around the same speed as a 204. If I had only one predator rifle 223 would be hard to beat.

As far as the thumb hole stock goes, they look cool and feel good but for predators I prefer as light a rifle as possible.

Good luck in your decision.

223 is my favorite. Lots of different loads. Easy to shoot and brass is readily available. Great on coyotes and other things.........

Hi Caden.I have both the 204 and the 223, out of those two I always grab the 223 when calling coyotes.I use 60g vmax and they work well.

I have a 204 ruger, thumbhole stock, and it is my go to calling rifle. I wouldn't shoot anything larger than a coyote with it and the thumbhole doesn't hinder my speed of working the bolt or disengaging the safety. That being said I'm notna speed demon on a bolt on any gun though.

Thx for responding so quickly. I will get a 223 without the thumbhole stock and 204 ammo in KS is almost 1.20 a round. Thx for the support and I'm glad I got some input to make a better decision

223 with a 1-9 or faster twist. This will give you the most versatility out of one rifle. You can shoot the 40-50 grain bullets for PDogs or step up to the heavier bullets to anchor larger predators. I had a 204 and shot a lot of coyotes with it but sold it and built a 1-8 tw 223 shooting 65 SGKs and love it.

I handload and prefer the 204 to the 223 but both of mine are in heavy bbl AR platforms. The 204 is my go to BY FAR!! But you'd be happy with either and the 223 is the way to go if you don't handload. Good luck.

The 223 with a 40 grain bullet is near 204 velocity? I didn't know that.

It really depends on what you're wanting to do with the coyotes. Are you hunting them for pelts? Or do you just want a dead coyote? I use a 243 for predator tournaments, shooting a home load that consists of Varget Powder, and 55 gr Noslers. I'm getting 3900+ fps out of it, and any coyote or cat from 100 to 300 yards requires a simple point and shoot approach (no drop compensation needed). Leading them when they're running at those same ranges, is almost not even needed. And when you hit one, it's dead, end of story. However, they absolutely blow a hole through them. They are not fur friendly rounds. I'm working on a fur friendly round right now, but it's tough with a 243. So if your goal is just a dead coyote, then your 243 is a great gun in my opinion. A fur friendly round is not impossible, but I have yet to find one.

I just want a dead coyote. So I'll use my 243 until I get enough money for a varmint decacated gun. Thanks for the support guys

Last edited:
Ive had all three. I loved my 204, but the bullet isnt heavy enough for the longer distances. I currently have a 223, but looking around for a 243. great thing about the 243 is you can use it for anything youll find in kansas.

Hi again Caden.I have a 204,22-250,two 223's,222,243.I also reload for all.The one cal.that is a true hammer on coyotes is the 243,loaded with 75g vmax it works very,very well.NOT fur friendly.When hunting in the open fields (longer shots) this is my choice.

Back