Browning x bolt

This one has been traded off twice to the same guy and both times he found something he wanted more and it came back home to me and I am glad it did. It wont leave again.

I've got five Browning X-bolt stainless steel stalker rifles. A 223, 22-250, 243, 204, and a 300 WSM. All of them shoot sub moa. They are the best factory produced rifle made! All have vortex viper pst scopes and the only gun I have that shoots better is my Cooper! That's my goto rifle for puttin a smile on my face!

X bolts are a real quality rifle. Am a big 700 fan but after that I must say love the X bolt. Can't go wrong fit and finish is excellent in a Browning. Good luck whatever you choose.

Originally Posted By: SnaggltoofRem 700 are for people who need to customize and spend money with their gunsmith. I haven't seen a browning that isn't a shooter. Rem 700 customizing is kinda a scam in itself. A well chambered free floated barrel screwed on an action and free floated will make a shooter. Everything else is feel good comfort food. How do you explain an out of the box rifle shooting as good or better than a $2500 plus custom rifle? I still can't get past that. But then again people will have to justify spending and waiting 1-2 years for the product to try to argue to me that it's worth it. Hey it's your money I don't care. Same nonsense about the crown. Watch the vids of guys just hacksawing off an inch at a time and still shooting under the magical moa. Go look in the classifieds, you won't be able to buy a gun that shoots over moa!!

Is a X bolt nicer and better built than a basic 700? Yes I would say so since a X bolt is partially hand crafted and bedded to a stock have nicer parts etc but X bolts also start at a 700$ minimum and 700s in that price range and up are more comparable.

I honestly highly disagree that you have to customize a 700 to work well, I own several 700s stock all shoot well are nice and not one customized thing on them. I am a 700 owner who doesn't like to customize I just get the model I like to begin with. However you do have a point about actual custom built rifles, some people put way too much $ and stock on them when it's not needed. I personally have the very best to me bolt action I could possibly ever dream of under 3000 and that's a 40x rifle for 2,500 and that very rifle has set standards and world records in bench rest.

Last edited:
OK, I'll be the Debbie Downer here!
I worked on a X bolt in 7 mag. It was easy to load for. My bud blasted an elk and 2 mulies with it.
My complaint is the lose and noisy magazine. It is a minor point, but there it is. Just like a pump shotgun. That pump would always make noise at the worst possible times.
My nephew has a a- bolt medallion w/BOSS in 300 win mag that is light and lights out. Me, on the other hand, have had issues w/browning repair shop (270 BAR). That is an actual bigger complaint than the magazine. And I think Im the only one on that one too. Everybody else has great luck. Not this old boy. Brick wall every time.
For a grand, I would look at a kimber. or for a little more, used custom jobs are for sale at good prices on snipers hide, accurate shooter, and long range hunting.
I have a kimber montana in 243 that is light weight and shoots under MOA.
Good Luck!
I have seen coopers at the range and they are bad [beeep]. They don't cost all that much more either. They have a good customer service dept. too.

Took my Browning x-bolt and Remington 700 varmint w/ HS-Precision stock to the range to shoot both head to head. They are both chambered in .22-250. Shot both three shot and five shot groups with both allowing the barrel to cool down. Both shot with handloads.

Rem. 700

3 shot- .435
5 shot- .647

X-bolt

3 shot- .926
5 shot- 1.132

The only thing that I like about the X-bolt over the M700 is that it comes with a box magazine.

Last edited:
so buy a late 60s to mid 80s Rem....done. A Browning will not feel like a Remington n REGRET will soon follow along with more hundos,just sayin. dont drink the kool aid go with what ya know.

I would hardly say buying a browning is drinking the coolaid. My xbolt out shoots all three of my 700's( they are shooters too) I was worried I would regret buying a browning after being a Remington giu my whole life.....not one ounce of regret has come. It looks feels and shoots in a whole different class than my remmys

Very nice to hear this, Ive suffered buyers remorse more than once.I was born with a Remmy in my hands an struggle with most other manufacturers offerings...never picked one up to even feel it in comparison. Sako n Tikka Ive flirted with n recently bought a savage 12.

I have been considering one of these for a while now...what is this "ejection problem"???? Anyone know what is going on here????

Back