Foxpro Lithium Battery Pack

kldad73

Last September I purchased a Lithium Battery Pack for my Shockwave from Foxpro and was initially very pleased with my purchase. I charged the pack when I received it. That initial charge lasted all season. At mid-April I pulled the battery pack out of my caller in order to store it over the summer. (Rarely hunt during the summer months) The battery level indicator showed fully charged when I pulled the pack out for storage. Fast forward to this October and I started to get everything ready to start hunting again. I grabbed the battery pack and proceeded to charge it. It seemed to charge just fine and went hunting the other day and after about 25 min. the call died. Luckily I still had the old battery tray and some lithium AA batteries so I just switched over and kept hunting. First thing I did when I got home was put the pack back on the charger. The charger would turn on for about 10 min and the shut off. So then I put the battery pack back in the caller and the level indicator shows 100% again. So I took it out hunting again and like the first time it shuts down after 25 min. I called Foxpro and since I am outside of the Warranty I was pretty much told that I sounded like I have a bad cell.
My first question is there something that I should have done that might have prolonged the battery packs life?
Second, what is everyone else using for their Rechargeable Battery options? I like the idea of the Lithium Pack but not at the cost and not if they only last 1-year.

I haven't heard of the Lithium battery pack giving any problems. One problem with the Energizer ultimate lithiums being used in a remote is that they are like lithium batteries in various tools. They either work when you pull the trigger, or it is time to install new ones. I haven't seen any meters that are accurate to show you that the batteries are 1/2 down, 1/4 down, etc.. Of course with tools, their batteries are rechargeable. I haven't seen any tools with accurate meters though.

I don't think they are supposed to have any memory so that shouldn't be an issue. Might be a good idea to ask FoxPro if they have ever developed meters that will accurately measure lithium battery status. Some of the big battery companies could probably provide some insight also.

Possumal,
Thanks for the Reply, the consistent out-put that you mention and not being susceptible to memory is the main reasons that I went with the Lithium. I explained the whole situation to the Tech at Foxpro and the only explanation he provided was I had a bad cell. Not on here trying to bash Foxpro. Just trying to find out if there is a critical maintenance piece that I missed or something else that I should have done. I’ve read some threads on here from people that seem very knowledgeable with the batteries (I know enough to be dangerous). For that reason I am reaching out for some help. I really can’t afford to spend $75 on a battery pack only to have it last a year. At that rate it would be cheaper for me just to but the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries.

Last edited:
kidad73, the rechargeable batteries don't have memory like they used to, so topping them off doesn't hurt them. I have never had any problems out of the regular black rechargeables. Same holds true for my grandsons and nephews. Yote Yoda uses the lithium battery pack and swears by it.

What you are calling consistent output is not how I think about lithium, especially where power tools are concerned. When you start using a drill, for instance, it either runs or it quits. Most regular rechargeables give you a clue when they are getting weaker and you can switch to a fully charged group. I haven't seen any meter for the lithium that works that way.

You should get a lot more life out of a lithium pack than that. I really wonder if periods of inactivity could hurt you with them. I am going by the fact that Yote Yoda uses them hard, recharges them, and they are always ready to go. In the off season, when he isn't hunting much, he still runs them some and recharges them. He has been using the lithiums for a couple years.

I am not sure if you can get a reading on lithium batteries with a volt meter. I'll report more if I find out more.

Last edited:
What I was calling consistent out-put is that it is my understanding that with a Lithium Battery the voltage output doesn't drop during discharge like it does with at traditional Alkaline or NiCa battery. Again i know enough to be dangerous.

I don't think the voltage output drops much on regular batteries, but they eventually let you know that they are running down. With lithium, it either runs or it quits quick. I don't know if that is an advantage on an ecaller or not. Personally, I'd rather know the batteries are starting to go down, i.e. the warning light that many of the models have when your battery is weakening.

As I said, I don't know if FoxPro ever developed that technology to cover lithium.

Possumal
How much run time do you get out of a set of NiMH rechargeable batteries in the Shockwave while running the Foxjack?

I am using the Fusion, but my son uses the 10 black rechargeables in his Shockwave, and he uses the decoy. He has hunted all day any number of times with no battery issues. The 8 batteries last well in my Fusion also. We have never determined the decoy to affect the battery life adversely.

Last edited:
A lot of guys may not agree, but they have worked fine for me and a bunch of friends and family. They have great shelf life and perform well in the cold.

Most lithium battery users say that lithium batteries work better in extreme cold. I can't cover that but I know that Snowcamoman has tested them thoroughly in Alaska and really likes them.

I have been using rechargeable 18650 lithium battery's in my l.e.d. flashlights for the last 4 yrs now and there is one important thing to remember: Don't leave them fully charged for long periods of time with out using them. In other words, drain the battery's down to 40% if being idol for several months. This is from the battery manufactures reconmendations.

My lithium batteries have a Protection Circut Board on the end to protect them from over & under charge.

Now, what I have said about the 18650's may not be true for every lithium battery. For the lithium battery that is in my Nikon Camera, requires that it be completly discharged when not being used for several months.

Most lithium batteries will have longer life span if not stored fully charged for long periods!

Also, with the new batteries that are being developed from S. Korea, not to far in the near future, we will not have to have electricity to charge them, for they will be charged by "air" - yap, by air, it's in the works right now. Just like Japan is working on developing a glass that is as strong as steel!!.

Last edited:
I got a voltmeter at work and tested the Battery pack. It measured 9.3 volts without a load. Showed it to one of our electronic testers here at work and we figured with the 6-cell pack rated for 11.1V each cell should register 1.85 volts. 1.85 volts times 5 is 9.25 volts. So it appears that the pack has a bad cell in it. We also checked the output of the charger at the same time and it was outputting 19 volts without a load. We figured this to be about right. So I guess now since the battery is out of warranty, its play time. I plan on dissecting the pack and will post pictures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: possumal I haven't seen any meters that are accurate to show you that the batteries are 1/2 down, 1/4 down, etc.. Of course with tools, their batteries are rechargeable. I haven't seen any tools with accurate meters though.

I don't think they are supposed to have any memory so that shouldn't be an issue.
I have a meter here that will check many different batteries - primary & lithium.
Very good meter.
You are right, they don't hold a memory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyote controlI will be courious to know what size or number the batteries are.

Model# for the individual batteries is LR1865SF. 3.7 V 2200mAh.

I took pictures and will try to have them posted later. I have yet to check the voltage of the individual batteries in order to see which one is bad. Also I did notice some corrosion on the bottom of one battery in particular. that is the one I suspect to be the problem.

Last edited:
Quote coyote control:
I have a meter here that will check many different batteries - primary & lithium.
Very good meter.
You are right, they don't hold a memory.

I never have doubted that there are meters capable of reading lithium batteries, but I seriously doubt that the one included in the Shockwave falls into that category. More later.

So it looks like 18650 battery's, LR probably the brand name.
If it was me, I would see if I could replace the battery's with higher grade one's, which there are lots better ones out there...but that's for another time.

I have never liked having a battery pack like what that is, just simply because you can't check each battery separtley and with the newer smart chargers that are out there, they help make for longer lasting battery when they are charged right.

I have 16 of the 18650 type lithium batteries and they are all of the high quality type. I use them in my high power L.E.D. flashlights and they are 2x times longer lasting then a lot of the cheaper ones out there.

Battery's, Battery's...I have as of now 116 rechargeables, AAA, AA, D, 9v, and 18650's (about $630 in total)...9 LED flashlights - $1077.00.

So after is dissected the Battery Pack I found out that I had 2 of the 6 batteries were bad. I have included some pictures if anyone is interested.

rested.

Pic%203_zpszgrd0xky.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyote control

I have never liked having a battery pack like what that is, just simply because you can't check each battery separtley and with the newer smart chargers that are out there, they help make for longer lasting battery when they are charged right.

I recently ordered the The shockwave rechargable battery kit from All Predator Calls. It comes with the 1.2 V 2300 mAh NiMH black batteries. With that said what rechargable batteries would you recommend?

Last edited:
If you are going with rechargeable AA, then these are your best choice...they are the top of the line right now.
I just wanted to insert a picture, but this site won't let me do it, so here is the whole link.

url]

They are made in Japan not China...

One more thing - these batteries were first made by Sanyo and a couple years ago Panasonic bought them out.

If one is looking for the highest quality lithium 18650 batteries, then look for the ones that have
Panasonic cells inside. The cells are made in Japan and the best on market right now. But they will all be assembled in China though.

Last edited:
Back