Surprising results!

338fan

For the last few years I've used hand loaded 90gr berger VLD's In my 243 win @ approx 3100fps I've only ever used them for medium to long range 100-500 yds. Occasionally I had some very large messy exits. But this last weekend I neglected to carry my shotgun and had a fast charger. After he circled the decoy and started to move away I swung on him and let fly at about 12 Yds. At the shot he was DRT. grimacing I walked over expecting a huge gaping hole. Imagine my surprise when flipping him over there was no exit. Apparently the bullet completely fragmented and dumped all its energy inside. Looking forward to experimenting further

I use a 55 Nosler ballistic tip at 4200 fps in my 6mm for coyotes It does a respectable job with fur.
I don't think there is a truly "Fur" friendly 243/6mm bullet at any range

Originally Posted By: nightcaller90gr 243 berger vld? 95gr maybe?

My thought exactly. There is no 90VLD (there is an 87, 95 & 105 though). I've shoot a whole bunch of the 90 target BT and it works really good on deer. Not shot many coyotes with it though.

Originally Posted By: jetmanI use a 55 Nosler ballistic tip at 4200 fps in my 6mm for coyotes It does a respectable job with fur.
I don't think there is a truly "Fur" friendly 243/6mm bullet at any range

4200fps....Smoking! I recently shot some 55gr lead free BT's our of my .243 and got them a touch over 4100 fps but I backed them down to just over 4000fps to stay on the safe side.

Back