17HMR vs 17WSM?

DPA

anyone know much about the difference in these two loads? wanting to get one for my son but not sure which to get? targets and small game mostly (groundhogs coons and yotes) thanks for any help you all can provide.

With yotes on the menu, the 17WSM is the better choice of the two. It's considerably more powerful than the HMR. Both are underpowered for coyotes, but the WSM is the bigger of the "too small of hammers".

For small game, they're both great options. The WSM definitely has more range under it, but most guys never wring out the range on the 17HMR for bunnies or other sub-25lb game and find it wanting.

Compare the rifles they come in, you might find doing so settles the question for you. The 17WSM is only available in less than a handful of offerings, Ruger 77/17, Savage B-Mag, and Franklin Armory's AR15 are all that I'm aware of. The HMR, on the other hand, as a pretty solid following of models to choose from.

I have both, and I can't really decide which I would get rid of first if I had to choose.

I have the original skinny barrel B-mag and have used it for three years now daytime coon calling. I use the 20 grain loads as we get shots from 10 feet to 80 yards with 30 yards the usual and the 25 grainers were starting to exit where the same shot with the 20 didn't. It totally mushes the inside of a big coon with center mass hit. If you graze them you get a bad opening. A shot behind the shoulder on a coon flat drops it out of the tree and not much of a toe wiggle after it hits the ground. I love the gun and round . The gun is light and that is a big plus for our style of walking 4-5 hours at a time , skinning in the woods , and 3-4 coon hides in the pack are still a lot to carry. I wouldn't change a thing about my rifle . My son uses an A-17 HMR and it does well but the Super Mag puts more whack to the hammer . We do around 80 coons a season hunting so I have a real idea on how the two work on coons , feral cats , and wood chucks . We haven't had a good chance to try either on a coyote here in Iowa but this would only be by chance calling coons as we have other good center fires if we were coyote calling. Jim

Since you are targeting the larger end of the varmint spectrum, I would go with the 17WSM, and 20 grain bullets (better performance with the faster, lighter, bullet).

Eric

I have both and really think the 17WSM is a superior round. However, I think it is only acceptable for broadside, under 100 yard shots on coyotes. The round is pure he!! on fox and raccoons and lesser varmints, and the 17HMR is darned good too. With the price of ammo being so close, I would opt for the 17WSM every time.

WOW! Thank you guys for all the information. Very helpful. I was leaning towards the WSM but you just pushed me over the top. Now to get some car bills paid so I can save a lil cash to buy the boy a new toy! thanks again

You won't regret the wsm. The ammo is now available, at first it was hard to find. I have had luck on coyote with the 25gr. Usually dead within 20yds. I've yet to bust a fox with it, coons its perfect.

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerSince you are targeting the larger end of the varmint spectrum, I would go with the 17WSM, and 20 grain bullets (better performance with the faster, lighter, bullet).

Eric

I 100% agree with Eric. BUT, I believe the 17 WSM is marginal, at best, for killing yotes but if that's all you have, then that's all you have and though I believe it's not a "good" choice the WSM certainly has more punch than does the HMR.

Also, FWIW, I've got both a WSM and a HMR and if I had to buy the one that was going to be the most accurate right off the shelf without having to do anything to it, it'd be a CZ in 17 HMR.

The Ruger 77/17 WSM nor the Savage Bmag is known for being an off the shelf one holer. In fact, they often shoot rather poorly out of the box. Now, if you're willing to spend some extra money on them they can typically be turned into very good shooters. My HB SS Bmag shoots unbelievably well now but I also spent an extra two hundred bucks on it too, so if you are looking for something that shoots real well right out of the box, I wouldn't recommend the Ruger or the Sav. Bmag in 17 WSM.

this is going to be a gun for my 8yr old boy. I am now starting to lean more towards the hmr because by the time I let him go yote hunting with a gun he can use one of my AR 223's. just want to get him something with more a$$ behind it than a 22. Thanks for all the imput. I was going to go with the rugar compact but sounds like accuracy isn't very good? any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: DPAthis is going to be a gun for my 8yr old boy. I am now starting to lean more towards the hmr because by the time I let him go yote hunting with a gun he can use one of my AR 223's. just want to get him something with more a$$ behind it than a 22. Thanks for all the imput. I was going to go with the rugar compact but sounds like accuracy isn't very good? any suggestions?

I have the Ruger American Compact in 22 mag and love it. It took a few rounds to figure out which it likes best, but it is very accurate for a 22 mag. It could be a safe assumption that the 17 HMR in the same model would be a good shooter. Also since it's for an 8 year old, it has the interchangeable stock modules so you could fit the length of pull to him better.

Originally Posted By: DPAthis is going to be a gun for my 8yr old boy. I am now starting to lean more towards the hmr because by the time I let him go yote hunting with a gun he can use one of my AR 223's. just want to get him something with more a$$ behind it than a 22. Thanks for all the imput. I was going to go with the rugar compact but sounds like accuracy isn't very good? any suggestions?

I think I'd give a serious look at the CZ 455 combo 22LR/17HMR. It's like having two guns in one.

Are you going to scope it or do you want it to have iron sights?

I would get a cz 17hmr american because right now your choices in guns for 17wsm are so limited.

You might wait till shot show to see if a new 17 wsm is released. The price of ammo compared to the ballistics sure looks attractive.

I have the 17HMR. I love this gun for daytime coon, rabbit, squirrel etc. I have coyote hunted with it however over 100 yards I wouldn't take a coyote with it. Inside 100 I have had a lot of good shots with it. If you are hunting small game try for head shots. I use this gun all the time pretty much on small game some people say it tears them up a lot however it does leave a good hole coming out of a gut shot squirrel they don't suffer at all. The hole it leaves out the other side is very easy to deal with. The 17HMR is my favorite gun in the cabinet. I just love it.

I have both the savage 93r17 and the marlin xt17. Both HMR. They are both a fun [beeep] gun to shoot and are both very accurate out of the box, no mods, with hornady 17 grain vmax, and hornady 20 grain xtp. Ammo is plenty available, averages $14 per 50 rounds. Think it would be an ideal round for a young hunter. My thoughts are if a gun is not accurate a youngster may get discouraged quickly if they feel they cant hit anything. Hope this helps, Good luck

I didn't think the 17 WSM ammo price would stay comparable to 17 HMR for long. Around here WSM is getting close to 20 bucks a box. The HMR is a great small game round. For $20 a box get a 223.

i pre ordered the skinny barrel bmag way back when and i never altered it so it was stock and i couldnt rely on it to shoot better than 2 and half moa at 100 yards. There wasnt Hornady or American eagle ammo and it was VERY new but i just couldnt handle the fact it wouldnt shoot good enough. The round itself is really cool for a rimfire and definitely has more whop than an HMR.

I had 2 B Mags both standard barrels . The first was a good shooter but was an early model with a broken ejector . Savage replaced the gun under warranty and it took 3 months to get my new gun . The accuracy on the replacement was poor and the bolt was way too stiff for me . I sold it at a loss to a local who likes to tinker and I was glad he wanted it knowing what I told him about it .

I liked the performance of the round on coons and foxes with the original rifle with 20 grain Winchester ammo . A couple months ago I bought the Ruger and the rifle has been flawless since I cleaned it and scoped it . It prefers 25 grain ammo at 100 yard but the 20 grain is acceptable for my uses .

The WSM is lights out on coons compared to my HMR . I have taken 2 coyotes with both the Savage and the Ruger and it is a minimal round on a southern Michigan size coyote . I will use my .223 for any day time coyote hunting or a shot gun with #4 buckshot depending on where I am hunting .

My nephew has taken a few foxes with his Savage WSM out to 150 yards with success with 20 grain Winchester . That's about the longest shots we get here in our area .

My Ruger shoots 25 grain ammo right at 1'' at 100 yards . The 20 grain opens up to about 1.5''.

I added a Jard trigger to the Ruger but it made for a solid rifle that will get lots of use every weekend .

I can not say anything bad about my Ruger other than the factory trigger is bad for a rifle that costs as much as they do .

For daytime fox or coon hunting the WSM is a big step up from an HMR from my experience so far .For night hunting I still prefer a shotgun but that is me .

Back