9 Down in Nebraska

MasterBlaster

Part two here we go!!!!
image_zpsmprbo6nm.jpeg

We left South Dakota and headed to Nebraska. We got out bright and early no joy on the first call of the day but on number two had one come in behind me never saw me. I pulled the 22-250 off the sticks and looked like I was playing the game Twister got around and dumped her at about 40 yds 1st one down in Nebraska.
image_zpsi46kuw4i.jpeg

Same coyote different picture.
image_zpsbzxvtl9u.jpeg

We made a few more and BangPop connected with one in the afternoon, he called in one to about 80yds and put her to sleep there was another one but gave him no chance for a shot.
image_zpsculjk0ds.jpeg

We both shot our 22-250s all the time in Nebraska. The next day I called a shelter belt and got one to come by in about 10 mins gave her a lip squeak she turned around and came for a look at 125 yds last thing she ever saw. I haven't shot a 22-250 much but was really impressed with the way it put them down for keeps.
image_zpsvy2tswup.jpeg

We went to last years HOT SPOT next and made 4 calls NOTHING! the last place we were going to make a call we found this before we got to the stand.
image_zpse9eyfpzs.jpeg

A bunch of digging we could see pretty easy. You can see the hole a coyote dug out his lunch and the blood from lunch,then laid down for a break just on the right side of the blood spot. We thought it might be a good place call. We set up I was watching west BangPop looking south. 5 mins in I heard BP's 22-250 go bang and a SMACK nicest one of the trip was down he was big and a great fur. 70 yds looking right at BP.
image_zps9ei8xagr.jpeg

We moved north and set up by a river made a call nothing came but we saw one cross a pasture 900 yds out. We moved to another set and 12 mins in BP had one attack him and shot it at 50 yds no picture of this one the head shot left it less than photogenic.

The next one we moved in on the one we saw on the first call after about 15 mins it was standing 110yds away from me and the lights went out for him shortly after he stopped. No picture here he had bad mange I feel sorry for a coyote in that condition just happy I could help him out of his pain. That ended the day!

Next morning found us sitting on a Bohunk over looking a river and a cattail thicket BIG thicket. We called for 15 mins and saw one way out in a pasture BP got real loud on the Tally Ho and it came to 800 yds and sat down and acted like it didn't care anymore. I pulled out the Blaster and played a tune it got up and trotted the rest of the way to us. It showed up at 290 yds and sat down and just looked at us. On the shot it rocked backwards then fell in the river and the fast current washed it away.Unbelievable but true, on the shot another one we didn't see took off at warp speed never to be seen again.
We move to out next spot.
image_zpsqsuhoaav.jpeg

The owner took our picture for us by their welcome sign. We set up south of the house by stack yard and wind break called for 10 mins and had one come running and I couldn't get him to stop so just before it got below the hill I shot it as it ran in 100yds next stop would have been in my lap.
image_zpsftttgutc.jpeg

We made a few more sets but the last coyote of the day and trip was one of them that makes you scratch your head. Set up and called 10 mins in we had one run past us at 150yds never stopped and went out of sight we looked at each other and went back to calling. 5 mins later it came back by running the same path it had come past on before never stopped or gave us a shot and went out of sight again. Called a bit more BP said "lets go" I said 5 more mins. so we sat there about 20 seconds and one popped up on a ridge 150 yards away BangPop shot it a male.
image_zps4zg8qtdv.jpeg

We made one more set a dark we were sitting on a really steep hill side. BP was calling he had one coming running at us came out of no where, it was coming up the hill we were on I was getting my knife out it didn't look good. Well all I'm going to tell you is we didn't get that one.
We had a great time,had Thanksgiving with one of the ranchers we hunted on.
We are thinking of going again real soon.

MasterBlaster

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blaster was on his A game on the stand by the river. I have called this particular stand many times over the years and it is about as close to a 100% stand as I know of. I have killed A BUNCH of coyotes there. We get set up and I give the old Tally-Ho everything I have for a minute or two and haven't spotted anything coming our way yet. Across the river there is a meadow that it probably 1300 to 1400 yards across and I tell the Blaster that I can't ever remember being at this stand and not seeing a coyote somewhere on that meadow. I get the glasses going and low and behold there is one WAAAAY over there. Nearly all the way across the meadow.

Watching through the glasses and calling can give you an idea of the reaction of the coyote and this one started coming slooow, stopping often and setting down and just looking our way. He kinda hung up until MB gets on this call that sounds like your castrating a field mouse and he simply gets up and starts trotting our way. He covers about 600 yards in a very short time and is getting into some heavy cover on the edge of the river. I keep an eye on him and tell MB where he is in that cover. That joker makes his way right up to the edge of the river at about 290 and sets down like he's waiting for a doggie biscuit. At the shot he rocks back a little and then face plants right off into the river.

Hey MB, that picture with your rifle leaning against the fence post, is that the price tag still on the bottom of the pistol grip? I'm starting to think my calling partner might be Minnie Pearl.
scared.gif

There were times on this trip that I thought the most appropriate title to the post would have been "Barney Fife and Elmer Fudd Go Coyote Hunting." We had one that came in late in the stand as MB mentioned above. I rushed the shot and hit him a bit far forward but dropped him like a sack of rocks at the crack of the gun. It wasn't 10 seconds and he's up and running and so was I. Two running misses later, and a few words I wouldn't want my Mother to hear, I catch him standing on the far hillside and make a big hole in the hide even bigger.
thumbdown.gif

Here's a tip for any novice coyote hunters. If you decide to set up on a steep hillside and the only flat place to set is in a cow trail, you better dang well be able to shoot on the trail that you're setting on. We are busy looking at all that great looking ground laid out in front of us when I catch movement, CLOSE MOVEMENT, at about 25 yards and closing at warp speed+4 ON THE SAME TRAIL I'M SETTING ON. I shift the gun to the left as fast as I can but that coyote is closing so fast that I can't get the gun low enough fast enough and shoot right over the top of him, I pretty much sucked at that one.

We had a couple more Elmer and Barney episodes but it pains me to much to think about them. Barney out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emptymagNice hunt. Whats the info on those bolt guns? My rifle is probably 12 or 14 years old by now. It's a 68 vintage 700 action that was the first rifle I bought with my own money. It's on its 4th barrel now. I built both rifles and single point trued my receiver and sleeved the bolt in both rifles. MB action had the truest threads in any Remington that I have ever seen and didn't require any work.

My rifle has a Shilen select match 1-14 twist chambered in .22-250 and has a McMillan GPH (they have changed the name of that stock now) stock. I have a custom dot system in the Leupold 4.5 x14 with dots at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. It is a killer set-up. I have another rifle that is very similar with the exception of a Krieger barrel and .22x47 Lapua chambering.

MB's rifle was built last summer after I convinced him he needed a good and proper bolt gun. I think that boy went to 1st grade with an AR in his hand. Mueller Works 1-12 twist barrel chambered in .22-250 and a McMillan Game Scout stock. Leupold 4.5x14 with a CDS dial.

Last edited:
I really do! I ordered another one already. The straight grip feels like my AR and doesn't hurt my wrists like a regular pistol grip. Easy to move it off the sticks if the need arises.
MB

BangPop! we only let 3 get away I know that's 3 too many but until I can get you to buy an AR and use it,things will go wrong.
tt2.gif

MASTERBLASTER

You have ZERO chance of getting me to buy one of those things. I'm too old and set in my ways to change. Ain't happening! Next subject.

NEBRASKA! the Good Life indeed!
Glad you gents had a good time here and greatly appreciate the pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

whack `em and stack`em!

Back