Colorado Coyote hunting?

BrandonU.

I will be going on vacation from December 13th to the 22nd. I figured one to two of those days I will have some down time and wanted to experience some western coyote hunting. Whether I am successful I don't care I just want to experience it. I will be staying at my grandfathers which is in Aurora. Is there any public land places near there say within and hour drive? I figured since it will not be that expensive, just try and give it a shot. I appreciate y'alls help.

Last edited:
My guess would be you'll have to drive for more than an hour. Aurora is on the east side of Denver. You'll burn 30-45 minutes just to get to the west side of the city, and I doubt there would be any good spots under a half hour from there. This is a total guess from a western Kansas perspective, however.

Just look on some maps at what state/national parks are within your driving range and make a plan from there. Problem is that all the city boys will hit the close stuff, too. The ones that know a good spot won't share, and they shouldn't be expected to. Sorry to be a party pooper, just think you'll need to drive farther to find more success.

Your best bet would be to go East. You wouldn't be calling in the mountains but I bet your chances of success will be higher. Can't help with the public land but from my experience you should be able to knock on doors and have good luck.

I live about 30 minutes south of Aurora and there's not a lot over that way. You can either find some public land out east by Limon or head west up to the mountains. Either way you will have to drive 1-2 hours for good coyote hunting. If you get out there during the week you shouldnt run into anyone else.

Check out the Colorado Parks and Wildlife maps to get an idea where there is Public land. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

If you have any questions about any of the areas feel free to PM me

Back