Ruger American Compact 223 Review

I'm probably going to start an argument here, and that's not my intention, so here goes. I had been thinking for some time that I wanted an inexpensive knock around bolt action rifle. One that I could keep in the truck, haul around on my UTV, or put in the tractor cab. I have a Ruger 17 HMR that has served that purpose, but I wanted a centerfire caliber (truthfully, I was just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun). I handled a Ruger American, and was not impressed. It was cheap made, which I know it has to be in order to sell in the market it's designed to fulfill. Here lately, I've both handled and shot a few other rifles in that market range, in addition to the Ruger. I found both the TC Venture and the Mossberg Patriot to pretty much fall in line with that I found in the Ruger American.....cheaply made riles that didn't impress me at all.

Now, I fully realize that there is a market out there for them, and that for every one that won't shoot good, there is probably one that is a tackdriver. I'm also sure that a dozen people will respond by saying that their Ruger American, TC Venture, or Mossberg Patriot is the best rifle they own, and that it shoots better than a Remington 700 they had, or a Winchester Model 70. Good for them, that's all I can say. But, I've owned lower end priced stuff over the years, and it is a rare occasion that it will out perform a more expensive made item. All guns are not created equal, there is a reason one sells for $300 new, and one for $600.

I am not knocking those guys who buy these entry level rifles, that's both their right and their business. My reason for posting this was just to say that I looked into it, and passed on all of them I saw. I ended up buying a Tikka Comapct in 223. As far as I'm concerned, it's head and shoulders above the other rifles I compared it to.

I have rifles with several thousand in them, and I now own an American. I also own and dearly love, a Remington 788, the original cheap gun...different tools for different jobs.

Well said ... and absolutely correct .... to a point.

The RAR is definitely an "entry level" rifle (for lack of a better term). It has a cheap stock and plastic magazines. The metalwork isn't groomed as it could be. I understand all of that. But the fact is that these little rifles shoot extremely well in most cases.

What I don't understand is why someone spends $300 on a rifle and then expects it to look and shoot like a SAKO or BROWNING ???
rolleyes.gif

Sorry folks but I was a little on the PO'ed side when I first posted JUNK. So, here goes.
I bought the rifle yesterday and it was in the box but figured it was used. The thing that interested me was short overall length, 36inchs, weight, about 6 lbs. I got it home and put a bi-pod on it to hold it up right while I mounted a scope. The stock was so flimsy, it twisted just standing up. I mounted the scope, a Redfield that I know for sure is a good scope, cleaned the barrel really good and headed to the range just to fire a few rounds and get the scope on paper. The ammo is Hornady 55 grain SP bulk so I wasn't expecting much in the way of accuracy as this ammo hasn't shot well in any 223 I have ever owned but I have quite a bit and use it for getting on paper. I use a Wichita rest and a rear bag so the rifle is fairly steady. The mag holds 5 rounds but I only loaded four. First round, stove pipes, have to dig it out of the receiver with my knife cause it won't let you drop the mag. Second round, same thing,as well as 3 and 4. accuracy is about like a gallon paint bucket lid. (Shooting 100yds) I load four more and get the same results, both in function and accuracy. Now I'm PO'ed and load up and come home. I get home and reloaded 20 rounds of CFE and a 55gr Z-Max,clean the barrel again and adjust the trigger to about three pounds, as light as it will go. Sunday comes, I head to the range, best groups of 20 rounds might be a skoal can lid with flyers going out of the group(???) For lack of better words to describe. Very upset with what I feel was money wasted when I could buy an AXIS for a hundred buck or more less and have a MOA rifle. I get home and settle down a little, then head back to the gunshow, sell the Ruger for a $100 loss, go to Academy, buy a Axis for $259 and a $50 rebate. Then do the same routine with the AXIS, mount scope, clean barrel, head to the range with the same ammo and after sighting in, shoot back to back 1 inch groups with the same cheap ammo. Sorry if I was insightful. I was a little bit PO'ed. Ruger is aware of this problem and replace the mags with "Range tested"mags. If you youtube the Ruger you will see there are alot of problems. Also go to Ruger forums and see the same. They are aware of the problem. On a good note, they triggers are pretty good.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI have rifles with several thousand in them, and I now own an American. I also own and dearly love, a Remington 788, the original cheap gun...different tools for different jobs.

I had a Remington 788 in 243. One of the best shooting rifles I've ever owned. It may have cheap, but it was all metal, not half plastic. I imagine that if Remington were to start making them again, just as they were back then, the cost would be way above what the plastic rifles are selling for today.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
I bought the rifle yesterday and it was in the box but figured it was used.

You bought a used rifle, not knowing what metal 3-piece junk cleaning rod may have been shoved down the barrel or what else may have been done to it, and you're upset because it won't shoot to your expectations? And that is the fault of the manufacturer? And a simple telephone call to Ruger would have netted you a new magazine with no questions asked.

On the other hand I have a ruger compact that shoots very good.Less than 1/2 inch at 100 is normal with hand loads.It does not feed as good as it should with the replacement mag. It is light,short and expendable.
It is exactly what I expected when I bought it except it is more accurate than I expected by far. It is 22-250. I would like to have a better stock but that would make it heavier. It don't look good doing it but it does it.So far the coyote have not remarked either way.I like mine.
Only load three rounds and work the bolt sort of fast and it feeds fine. I would not pick it for a battle rifle.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: pyscodog

You bought a used rifle, not knowing what metal 3-piece junk cleaning rod may have been shoved down the barrel or what else may have been done to it, and you're upset because it won't shoot to your expectations? And that is the fault of the manufacturer? And a simple telephone call to Ruger would have netted you a new magazine with no questions asked.

I guess your right if you choose to look at it that way. If it had showed some signs that accuracy could be found, it might have been different. I felt like it was typical hit or miss accuracy with Rugers and I got the miss. I guess you should have been the one behind the trigger, your thoughts might be different. This ain't my first rodeo with used rifles.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: pyscodog

I guess your right if you choose to look at it that way. If it had showed some signs that accuracy could be found, it might have been different. I felt like it was typical hit or miss accuracy with Rugers and I got the miss. I guess you should have been the one behind the trigger, your thoughts might be different. This ain't my first rodeo with used rifles.

No, if I had been behind the rigger I'd still feel the same. I've bought a couple of used guns that wouldn't ever shoot to please me. They went to new homes very quickly. But it wasn't the fault of the manufacturer because they were both "premium" brand rifles with great reputations. Used guns = toss up unless you know the history. Any time I buy used I hold my breath until I actually shoot the gun. You just never know .......

But I am sorry that you bought a lemon no matter the brand. It always stinks to get disappointed like that.

Your 100% right about used rifles for sure. 50/50 shot on them. I just didn't feel like chasing problems on this rifle I'm sure they all aren't lemons. I truly wish this one was better as I liked the size of it. Would fit nicely in the truck.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog I truly wish this one was better as I liked the size of it. Would fit nicely in the truck.

use the $50 rebate to have barrel cut and crowned on the savage. it will fit nice in the truck also.

With less than 20 rounds fired, the mag never glitched even once and shot two groups sub MOA. At least I could hunt with the Savage. I didn't feel comfortable even thinking of hunting with the Ruger.

Since the original Edge now called Axis came out I know several people who have bought them for a beater gun including my son . They have proven to be a good gun even at the low price point . They surprised me for sure . My son and nephew hunt them more than their other rifles now days because they are light and don't worry about busting thru brush and beating them up . They function well and are accurate .

Back