What range do you zero your rifle?

MCary

What range do you zero your rifle? And why?

I think most of the people I talk to zero the rifle at 100 yards. Personally I like to zero mine at 25 yards. First of all I think it's easier cause you can get a tighter group which makes it easier to move. And second of all I can hold on target up to 300 yards. I'm about an inch and a half high at 150 yards and then the bullet crosses the plane again at about 300 yards. So I am well within the Killzone from 25 yards to 300 yards without needing to make any adjustment.

If you're zeroing at 100 yards, you would need some sort of mil dot scope or you would be consistently hitting low past 100 yards. Or am I wrong?

depends on the caliber, .223 I zero at 50 yards and im dead on out to 200 , most calibers up from there its 200 yard zero for me.

At the range at which I intend to use said rifle. 100 yard zeros are just the starting point.

Unless it has dials, then it is typically a 200 yard zero and cranking from then on.

Last edited:
.22 rimfire 75 yards. .17 HMR 100 yards. .221 Fireball 150 yards. .223 on up 200 yards. I am thinking of zeroing the .243 AI that I just put together at 400 yards as it will not be used for any closer shots than that.

150 yards 223. Super flat trajectory, plus/minus 1/2" from about 35-175 yards. That covers 95% of my shots for holding dead on.

Totally depends on the caliber, intended animal, and ground im hunting but for 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5 creedmoor its usually 1 inch high at a 100 so roughly 200 dead on.

135 yard zero for my .223 ar15 night rig, then I can hold on to 300 yards and not worry about missing.
My 6x45/6x6.8 set at 3/4" high at 100 yds and after 300 yards I use my dialups or mil dots.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760At the range at which I intend to use said rifle. 100 yard zeros are just the starting point.

Unless it has dials, then it is typically a 200 yard zero and cranking from then on.

This!!!!! Plus I would add that 100 yards seems to be the sort of standard for assessing a rifles accuracy potential. Example, if you are shooting groups of an inch or less at 100 you can safely say you have good equipment and are doing something right. Just because you are shooting nice tight groups at 25 yards doesn't mean you necessarily have a really accurate rifle...of course it will be a tight group, the bullet hasn't gone anywhere or had time to fly out there and prove what the rifle will really do.
I always start out at 25 or 50 yards with a new rifle or one that has just had a scope change. But, given the differences in impact I see when I back out to 100.....I don't know if I would zero at 25 and call it a day. Maybe for deer or bear, but no way for woodchucks or coyotes.
I wouldn't necessarily say what you are doing is wrong either...in a pinch it will and has worked just fine.

I've always used MPBR. Since childhood. For calling rifles I use a 4" target MPBR.

For the very flat shooting rifles I hunt coyotes with that means zeroed at ~280 yard zero give or take a few yards. Puts the bullet not more than 2" above or below line of sight out to 350+.

Point and shoot for called coyotes.

- DAA

I zero at 200. That makes every rifle I own good from 25 to 300 yards. I can't see well enough nor am I steady enough to shoot much past that anymore. Age and health makes you rethink your ranges.

Obviously it totally depends on trajectory. I mainly shoot coyotes so 1.5" high at 100 lets me hold on fur all the way out to 300 with most of my rifles.

"I think most of the people I talk to zero the rifle at 100 yards. Personally I like to zero mine at 25 yards. First of all I think it's easier cause you can get a tighter group which makes it easier to move."

This does work for people that don't shoot much range. You could be dead on at 25yards,but you could be a .25" off or so and not even know it. The farther out the more it will show up. That .25" @ 25yards will be inches when you get some distance on it.

I've done many and made changes along the way. These days depending on the rig,I'll start at either 50 or 100 yards. Once dialed in I'll go to 200 and see if the bullet travel is true. If it's not, I'll correct it and it will be more precise back at the 50-100 range.

My rigs that I dial, zero is 100 yards. Rigs that I don't dial are a 200 yard zero.

Originally Posted By: DAAI've always used MPBR. Since childhood. For calling rifles I use a 4" target MPBR.

For the very flat shooting rifles I hunt coyotes with that means zeroed at ~280 yard zero give or take a few yards. Puts the bullet not more than 2" above or below line of sight out to 350+.

Point and shoot for called coyotes.

- DAA

This. Accept I use 3 inches instead of 4. At any common calling distance I aim where I want to hit. If its a little further than usual I aim at the top of the shoulder. If its past what I think my rifle will do aimed there, I usually don't shoot. For coyotes. For deer use a rangefinder and memorize your dope.

For internet bragging rights I zero at 0 inches. If you press the muzzle against the target you always get 1 hole groups, especially if you shot 1 round grouping. Keeps me from being a liar.

For everything else, mpbr.

Back