Redemption With a Double!!

Rodney LaCaze

It was payback time on one of our spots. Last season we hunted this spot after the first snow in November. This spot is pretty tight with the timber edge being only 225 yards away from the small hill we set up on. There is a brushy fence row that leads south from the timber towards the fields behind where we set up.

Last year we were set up and ready and after only 15 seconds of cottontail screaming, we could HEAR them coming. Its quite the adrenalin rush to hear multiple coyotes' feet rustling through the downed leaves coming into your calls!

So they finally break out of the timber and 2 run on the East side of the brushy row towards us and 3 run on the West! I swung my shotgun West and my partner lit them up with the Coyote Light. I shot at the lead coyote and thought I rolled it! So being the greedy type, I swung on the second and shot but missed and shot again and missed AGAIN
thumbdown.gif

Chad took a shot with his .223 at them running away but didn't connect either. We stepped it off to where I THOUGHT the first one was down, but there was NOTHING there!!! No coyote, no blood on the snow, ZIPPO!

We stepped it off and then the razzing really began...15 yards and I whiffed with the scattergun! My shot string was about 5 feet over the top of the coyotes footprints in the snow. Hard lesson learned that night...keep your head down and cheekweld on the gun or you will shoot high! This spot always has been a good laugh for us. Everytime somebody misses I'll say its not as bad as a 15 yard miss with the shotgun.

Anyway back to the REDEMPTION!!! We hunted this spot again last Sunday night and set up the same way. But this time a quick scan with the EOTECH 640 showed something 4 hot spots down by the timber. The bad thing was nobody had a shotgun and if it was going to happen it might be close again...well it sure was! A few shrieks had them coming our way. It was another guessing game as to what side they would come out on as they came up the hill. They split again and 2 went West and 2 went East. The lead coyote didn't stop and kept on trucking. The second coyote slowed up but didn't stop and didn't look like it was going to, so I took a shot at it running and rolled it at 70 yards! The thermal showed it piled up and not moving.

The Coyotes on the East side of us turned and ran back North towards the timber, but some coyote distress pulled them back! They were dead set on getting South of us to get our wind, but they wouldn't stop no matter how many barks we threw at them....So I figured I'd try my luck on another running shot and luckily I connected again! This time it was only 30 yards but the coyote was trucking.

No better feeling than hitting a running double! Doing it where I had my worst miss ever made it all the sweeter!!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I love doubles! first stand this year produced one. Shot the first one in self defense at about 25 yards, the second one split off and headed away at the shot. One blow on the call, he turns sideways at about 120 yards, and got that one too.

Tony.

We always hunt at night...we have really wore them out the last few years.

Both of them were 2 pointers! The one with a tennis ball sized 2 point tail is at the taxidermist right now!

Figured I may never shoot another off-handed double on 2 pointers again so why not!

Back