CZ 527 22 hornet rebarreling - options?

silverback2

I have a CZ 527 in 22 hornet with some substantial rust damage on the barrel. Rather than repair it, I am considering a new barrel.

I mainly want to hunt fox and coyote and plan on shots between 50 and 100 yards but they could occasionally be further.

I am leaning toward a 17 caliber due to an increase in speed and component availability (as compared to a .19 cal). I would consider a 19 cal but I am concerned it may be more difficult to find bullets.

As far as 22 the options I suppose an obvious option is to refinish the hornet barrel but I am looking to pick up speed. I should note I have a 22 250.

Thought on caliber and barrel supplier?

Had the same rifle. I ended up rebarreling to 17 ackley hornet. That was like 13 or 14 years ago. Its one of my all time favorites to shoot.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeThose won't work with the hornet action.

Of course they will. Why wouldn't they?

OP,

I wouldn't let something as simple as a magazine setup and bolt face get in my way of having what I wanted. The bolt fave is a $40-$60 operation, and a 221 FB magazine is in that same price range. I won't say whether you need new bottom metal or not because I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. But, like I said, I am not sure so don't quote me.

In any case, it can be done easily.

Any thoughts on going the other way and building a 25 Hornet. 75 gr bullets at about 2300fps from a rifle plus very cheap 85gr precast bullets for small game hunting and plinking would make a great under 200 yard rifle.

Just a rebore of your existing barrel.

After reading about them I just had to go out in the shop and make one up. Headspacing on the rim means no shoulder required. I've seen them made in a revolver and called a 257 Magnum.

C&H even list it in their die list at $63 for the FL sizing die and the stock 25 cal hornady seater works for a seaterI i just did this one with the hornady ).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: 1badsheeThose won't work with the hornet action.

OP,

I wouldn't let something as simple as a magazine setup and bolt face get in my way of having what I wanted. The bolt fave is a $40-$60 operation, and a 221 FB magazine is in that same price range. I won't say whether you need new bottom metal or not because I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. But, like I said, I am not sure so don't quote me.

That's more than a rebarrel that was asked about.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeOriginally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: 1badsheeThose won't work with the hornet action.

OP,

That's more than a rebarrel that was asked about.

If you're going to make an omelet... You've got to break some eggs.

Back