favorite shot size for yotes and why

Originally Posted By: chironomidkraut what brand is your guys favorite/ most accurate #4

#4 shot is for birds, number 4 buckshot is for coyotes

my gun patterned best with hevy shot T, BUT not enough better over 3" remington #4 buck to get me to pay $4 more/shell. Ive been using rem 3" #4 buck for yrs. It works, for me it works great in shotgun ranges 20-50yds. Ive killed several past 60 with it, but generally dont shoot until they are under 50.

I dont care what your stuffing in your shotgun.It aint a rifle. Your kidding yourself if you think you will get consistant kills much past 60 yds. Consistant to me= every time I hit

From the shotgun posts in the past there seems to be a lot of variation on performance between gun/choke shot combos so I recommend you at a min try several differnt shot loads. Id stay away from birdshot type rounds unless ALL your shots are under 40 yds. Id start with rem or fed 3" #4 buck or hevi Ts if you can afford it. If you can find them 3" lead F shot is great too

Last edited:
I like the 3" hornady Nickel BB. I say this because the T shot is way to expensive, so i don't care how good it is. I have tried the 00, and 4B and feel that it's a case of getting those BBs in the right place to make the stop. I pay $14 for a box of 10 and at $1.40 cents I want every single bb i can to hit that spot.

They work, i use them, and I won't change unless something out there can tell me otherwise.

I also shot a bobcat at 10yrds year before last, and when i skinned it out and put it up, I wasn't docked for damage at the buyer. If you are shooting 75-100 dollar coyotes up there, pelt damage is something to think about.

I shoot #4 buck. I even use the 2 3/4" Varmint Express most of the time. If I shoot a coyote with a shotgun, he's inside 25 yards and moving quickly... Otherwise, why not hit him with a rifle, IMO.

I shoot light loads of NP BB's out of my combo guns, 1 oz out of the 16ga and 1 1/4oz out of the 12ga. It is just for close in work, I never have to try and stretch them out as I always have the rifle barrel for longer shots. A number of years ago I got a deal on some DC 3" and and bought a few boxes and some Rem HD BB's and use these when I just have to use a shotgun and it seems that when I'm in these areas non-toxic is required. I do have a few boxes of 4 Buck and a bag of NP "F" shot under the bench if I need to load some.

Whatever is cheapest on the shelf. I have a few hundred rounds of 4 buck, OO,OOO in all 3 lengths. Iv killed them with #4 steel shot. Personally 3 or 3.5" 4 buck.

What's peoples luck with steel BB shot on yotes? It just seems to be quite a bit more common around here due to the waterfowling seasons rather than lead...

Originally Posted By: SmoothYoteWhat's peoples luck with steel BB shot on yotes? It just seems to be quite a bit more common around here due to the waterfowling seasons rather than lead...

Not enough energy in steel...I can not recommend it at all.

I appreciate it, I'll just make an order one of these days... On a side note I own a 10 Gauge H&R
With a cut 19" cylinder bore barrel that I'm going to try and have fitted with a tighter choke that might be kinda of fun for yotes up close...

Last edited:
Back