cleaning rusty traps?

deadhorse

I just recieved about 15 foot hold traps from my father-by-law, and they have not been used for quit a while. they are all rusty, not unusable, but pretty rusty. I did a search here and have found some info on prepping traps, but what can I do to remove the rust? thanks

Some rust is a good thing---it helps the dye stick to the trap better. If you are concerned though--use a wire brush and lightly hit them all then dye them!

Unless they are heavily rusted, bobcatX is right. However, if they are heavily rusted or you aren't going to dye... then soak them in a solution of white vinegar and water (50% solution). Leave them in for a day or two and you'll find most of the rust will come right off. If it hangs on in a bit, rub with your fingers or a rag. Rinse them well and you'll likely find a light coating of rust form as they dry. This would be fine if you are planning on dying them. If you don't dye them, then dry them immeadiately after rinsing and procede to wax, dip, paint, or what ever you plan to do.

Some auto parts stores or auto machine shop's. Have [shot-peening booths] or a [sand blaster]. That should be able to peel off "heavy rust".

I like to use muriatic acid dunk them hose them off good than apply dye. Works great and in a matter of seconds , just dont have your nose above the pail.Worse than vicks vapor rub.

Dyeing is when you dip the traps in a solution that makes your traps brown or black, many different types of dyes and many different components!

You can also dye your traps by boiling them in logwood dye, available at most trapping supply stores. Once you’ve dyed them don’t touch them with your bare hands to keep off any human sent. If you’re trapping fox or coyote, dyeing is a necessity.

There is alot of debate over the necessity of dying traps. Some say it gives an added bit of protection and the darker color helps with blending. Others don't dye thier traps, but wax them for the protection. Some dip them in a petroleum based or latex based dip. Some paint them with rustoleum or a similar paint. Some paint and then wax...

Dying and waxing is proven, but don't discount other approaches until you find what works best for you.

Back