Where to shoot coyotes

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOkay!

He called back..............

.223 55gr vmax @ 3233 FPS

.243 55gr vmax @ 3886 FPS Yup, that's more realistic. Numbers you were quoting before had me questioning your sanity.
wink.gif
Also, I'm not aware of a 55gr vmax in 6mm. I'm guessing he's referring to 58gr Vmax.
Its the 55g NBT in the 243 he shoots.

I know how to call and shoot coyotes;-)

Isn't that good enough!

Heheheheheheeeee

Here is a picture of a coyote I skinned just to picture the results of a 70 grain Blitz King that hit him dead center in the left shoulder at 320 yards. I think you can see how devastating it was with no exit wound. He was a 42 lb. male and was double DRT.

1st choice chest dead center.
2nd choice Butt dead center.
3rd choice behind the shoulder dead center.

And if i wasnt old and shaky head shots just forward and a touch below the base of the ear.

Last edited:
Great article. I can honestly say I didn't know that about the vitals location/shot placement. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: possumalHere is a picture of a coyote I skinned just to picture the results of a 70 grain Blitz King that hit him dead center in the left shoulder at 320 yards. I think you can see how devastating it was with no exit wound. He was a 42 lb. male and was double DRT.

Same as my results Al.

I have had 4 other people who use the same load, and it groups well in all their guns, with the same killing power. It messes the coyote up but not his fur.

Originally Posted By: possumalI have had 4 other people who use the same load, and it groups well in all their guns, with the same killing power. It messes the coyote up but not his fur.

What load is that?

I made that graphic a long time ago and posted it on another hunting site and here under my old username. Pretty funny watching it make the rounds on the internet.

And it's true, if you're getting spinners and runners it's because you're gut shooting them and/or barely clipping the back of the lungs.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI made that graphic a long time ago and posted it on another hunting site and here under my old username. Pretty funny watching it make the rounds on the internet.

And it's true, if you're getting spinners and runners it's because you're gut shooting them and/or barely clipping the back of the lungs. Kudo's to you sir... it's a great illustration.

Yep, dead center in the shoulder or chest will flat out put them down. Most of the spinners are hit too far back.

Coyotejunki: 70 grain Blitz King, 38.0 grains of IMR-4064, 250 Large Rifle Magnum primers. This load was given to me by Paul Box, Ballistics Technician, and I never could improve on it.

Last edited:
Dirty Dog...thanks for the graphic!! I was very surprised to see it!! After I finished writing the article, I did an image search and was floored to find a perfect graphic to reinforce what I was saying!! I apologize for not knowing where it came from. I would have gladly given credit if I knew where it originated from!! I am glad people can use the article. It's just what I've learned over the years. Further conversations with Les Johnson, and Al Morris just reinforced what I learned.

Back