Citric acid or vinegar and salt for brass cleaning

vstar950

I wanted to do clean my brass for reloading. I have found some people saying citric acid. I was thinking of vinegar and salt would work well.

Any opinions?

Thanks all

I have used a light vinegar/ water (not massengill !!) solution to shine brass. Rinse with fresh water very good afterwards. Never used salt and dont think I want to.

Never used citrus either, cant comment on that.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoInvest $75 in a vibratory cleaner and you'll be FAR better off.

Yep. This is what I eventually did as well. Found a Lyman 2500 ultrasonic on sale a while back. Using it right now as a matter of fact!

I agree with Tim on the salt. Also agree with the investment for a tumbler, either vibratory or rotary with stainless steel pins.

Last edited:
Vinegar with a little dish soap will clean slightly tarnished brass. Not the brown weathered stuff. Rinse well or it will turn pink. I usually add a little baking soda to the rinse water to kill the vinegar. If you want it pretty, corncob will make it look like jewelry.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesIf you want it pretty, corncob will make it look like jewelry.

Yes it will.
Get the treated kind, or just add some Nu-Finish or Liquid Glass car polish.

I am going to be the outlier again here, but I have used vinegar, salt and water to clean some of the blackest brass you have ever seen. It just plain flat works. De-cap the brass with a universal decapping die, and put the brass into a bowl with a cup of water, a tablespoon of salt and about two quarts of water. I use hot water because it dissolves the salt and increases the cleaning action. Wait about 15 minutes, take the brass out and immediately rinse it, and I mean rinse it well. Then take the brass out and spread it on a towel to dry. Leaving it overnight works very well.

I typically use a tumbler to finish the work, but I have found that sometimes that is unnecessary.

Finally, fwiw, I have also used a packet of lemon flavored Kook-aid and two quarts of water to clean brass, so long as the tarnish isn't extensive.

Salt tends to defeat the activity of the vinegar.

I use 1:1 vinegar and deionized water followed by water with hornady or birch wood solution in water, then two flushes of water. The solutions neutralize the vinegar.

YES I use it all the time and I really like my results. Its cheap, quick, and does an excellent job. This formula works great for up to 40 243 case's.
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar.... 1 tea spoon liquid dish soap.... 1 tea spoon salt.... 1 cup Hot water..... I use a 9mm nylon brush which fits inside the case just right to brush them out quite nice. Then throw them into a clean bowl of hot water and brush them one more time, rinse well and I throw them in the oven on warm for about 10 minutes and you'll have very clean and dry brass ready to load. (The primer pockets are sorta clean at this point but are supper easy to clean up with the primer brush). Another reason I like doing this by hand is you get a real good look at your brass for any cracks dents etc. You'll feel good that you have checked your brass carefully. And m,y brass shines better than new!!!!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I think I will stick with my Thumbler's and SS pins...seems way easier then all these smoking cauldron mixtures.

"Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."

Shakespeare was ahead of the game.
lol.gif

Tim, would it help to know that the vinegar/salt solution was promulgated by the NRA? I would like to very kindly suggest that you google this topic and read all of the answers. People all over the country do it. If it were the least bit harmful, that would not be the case. No pun intended...

Doubless,
I've heard of the vinegar/salt solution before, just nothing I want to use. Plenty of ways to "skin a cat ".....

I've also heard the 223 is not good for coyote and 243 is not enough for deer. Smokeing, chewing , drinking lots adult beverages ( which are pose to be bad for you) yet people do it all across the country . Just say'n...
wink.gif

As for the NRA , not all they spew is the gospel ....

These days I sort through all the info and pick which might be the best for me that day.

Cheers

grin.gif

Everyone of these magic potions look like to much work for me. I go to the garage, dump my brass in the tumbler, come back tomorrow to brass that looks better than new. Call me lazy......probably right, but its worked for me for years. My tumbler is so old, I got duct tape holding it together but it keeps on workin!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogEveryone of these magic potions look like to much work for me. I go to the garage, dump my brass in the tumbler, come back tomorrow to brass that looks better than new. Call me lazy......probably right, but its worked for me for years. My tumbler is so old, I got duct tape holding it together but it keeps on workin!!

Exactly.
Mine gets 12-15 hours every time.
thumbup1.gif

Back