Colorado bobcat trapping

Mountainman44

Hi, im just getting started with trapping and im wondering if u guys could give me some advice on where to put it what lures to use and even how to make my own baits/lures and also in colorado live traps are the only traps you can use

Thanks in advance

Location-best place to put a trap is where you find a track.

Bait/lure-lots of good lure out there-every trapper seems to have their favorite-find yours ALWAYS use urine and Cage Magic lead in scent

Lastly-join the state trapping association and attend the rendezvous(to late for that this year-plan on going next) LOTS of good info to pick up there

Always practice persistence and perseverance-it took me two years to catch my first cat

Good Luck!

If you are trapping for fur to sell when u catch a bobcat in a live trap does shooting it affect the price the fur will go for if so what is a good method of not harming the fur?
Thanks

A small caliber shot in the head does not affect the value of the fur.

You will need to wash it before selling.

Last edited:
22 behind the shoulder has always worked for me, I like to hang on to the skulls. When I spent time trapping for cats I found that the most important thing for me to be successful was time put into scouting, finding the cats travel routes. Cats are a creature of habit they have a territory they travel.

Anyone have good bobcat bait recipes that doesnt freeze and hold a good scent in cold weather.Also i just bought a bottle of milligan man cat-man-do and havnt been having much luck (i think its just freezing). Any additional tips are greatly appriciated

Do you have cats visiting your cage but not committing? How close do you see tracks?
If they are coming to the cage but not in it, make sure to use plenty of urine, something visual in the back (feathers, fur, etc). Mercers Cage Magic Lead in Scent goes in all my traps.

If the cats aren't even finding your set you need a "call" lure. Skunk essence is good for this. Just because you can't smell the bait doesn't mean a cat can't. Their noses are better than ours.

You definitely need a call lure, and some visual attractant above the cage.

Better yet, if you can, move the trap to the tracks.

Dont know how cage trapping is in Colorado but been told and have read alot because im getting into trapping but ALWAYS SET TRAPS ON THE SIGN. Thats what I have been told over and over and over again lol..

Originally Posted By: Mountainman44I found tracks about a 100 yards away

Where the cat came through is your trap location in sight? If it is I would flag it to catch the cats attention if it comes the same path next time. I scouted a cat one year that was using 3 different draws within a 1/4 of each other so I keep a journal of which days he was using which draw. Now I didn't have a lot of traps as I made my own, but I went with the middle draw based on my info I had gathered as it was used a little more often. And 10 days later I had a cat. So you may move the trap a 100 yards and miss the cat the next time or not it's just like gambling half the time. As far as lures I never used any other than fresh bobcat urine and my own special little surprise for the cat as it got to my set.

good spots are bottom edge of a draw, they skip straight across to other side of smaller side draws, usually, on top of draw on edge is travel spot, up a brushy draw, cedar draw, along a rock wall is one of my favorite spots in WY

Back