Reloading the .17 Hornet

Dixiedog1

How is the .17 Hornet to reload? I reload a lot of calibers and have been thinking about purchasing a .17 Hornet and I'm wondering how this round is to reload. I haven't loaded an .17 caliber ammo yet, I'm a bit concerned about the tiny size of the bullet and keeping it straight when seating the bullet. Is it a pain to load?

I have been loading it for a couple of years now. I personally don't find it anymore difficult to load than any other cartridge. I do use a Hornady new dimension seating die which I believe is easier to start the bullet with. But I use the RCBS sizing die.

I started out loading the Hornady 25 gr hp. In the past year I have been using the 25 gr HP from the woodchuck den, which if I remember correctly is a boat tail.

Originally Posted By: NChunter89I have been loading it for a couple of years now. I personally don't find it anymore difficult to load than any other cartridge. I do use a Hornady new dimension seating die which I believe is easier to start the bullet with.

my thoughts exactly. the hornady die with the sliding sleeve seems to help a bunch with getting the little bullets started up in the die.

Guess I'll find out soon enough....I went ahead and ordered the new Ruger .17 Hornet today. I'm not a big fan of the set of Hornady .444 Marlin dies I purchased but with 2 first hand reviews on the .17 Hornet dies I ordered a set of Hornady new dimension dies to get started.

Anybody have much experience with the Lil' Gun powder in .17 Hornet? I figured I'd start there with 20 gr Vmaxes and venture further if needed

I personally didn't have much luck with the lil' gun powder. I have read about some having pressure issues using it in the 17 hornet but I have also heard others that swear by it. I ended up using AA1680 powder in my hornet loadings.

If you haven't loaded it before ---
Best advice would be to get a 17 funnel that fits down on neck ---
Makes it a lot easier ---
Thx

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1

Anybody have much experience with the Lil' Gun powder in .17 Hornet? I figured I'd start there with 20 gr Vmaxes and venture further if needed

i tried lil gun. never found a load that i was happy with. then i bought a pound of 1680 and 2200. 1680 was pretty good and i was happy with it until i tried the 2200. my cz and savage both shine with the 2200. i suspect with a little more experimenting the 1680 would do just as well.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a jug of 1680 and 2200, I've got Lil Gun and 4227 sitting on the shelf so I was leaning that way but if the others work better I'll gladly keep all my Lil' Gun and 4227 for .410 shells and my .44 mags

I'll be trying Lil Gun and 4227 for sure....I did scrounge up some 1680 too....turns out it's rarer than hen's teeth around here and priced accordingly $35 a pound
scared.gif
I'm glad the .17 Hornet uses light charges it will make the violating price hurt less per shot
thumbup1.gif

It's not a pain to load. I've tried Lilgun, 1680, H335, H4198, 2200 and IMR4227. The best for me by far has been the 2200. That is all I shoot for the 20's and 25's. If you can find some, it is worth a try.

Back