Good prime coyotes in the box

jetman

dogs%20today%20z_zps5opkbv3t.jpg

I'm sure glad the general deer season closes two week early up north. I just can't get out in full camo crawl around in the brush and make animal noises where there is a bunch of half drunk week end hunters shooting 300 win. mags.!

Anyway.

We "Ran" up north of Tiber yesterday, man 120 miles to the first set.

Light wind -10* and a few inches of snow.

First set we had to wait 20 minutes for a little daylight but with the full moon when it got close to the horizon light things up almost like dawn so we headed out . We split up about a 1/4 mile and called. In the flat moon light the coyotes could move around with little chance of being seen . POOF a pair stood In front of the boy . The 17 hornet lit up and one fell down the other one cam jetting my way two fleeting shots from the 22/250 and the coyote disappeared unharmed.

dogs%20today%20y_zps1sehro2n.jpg

ONE for the fur box.

Another set we where split about the same looking up in to different drainages. 'Bout 18 minutes in to the set I had two coming in strong, I whispered in to the mic , got two coming. My son kept calling . They stopped around 200 yards out and got to looking very nerves. I had to try a shot , they where in a line and looking in my direction , a hard shot. I picked the back one first , WAP 22 hit him hard . Its spinning so I looked for the other , Found it booking back up the drainage. Put the hairs above it's head and WAP another solid hit ,man a double. I called Kristopher and we kept calling for 10 minutes longer. A steep walk down to where I shot ,turned out more like 300 yards, good thing it was a steep down hill I probably would have missed. The other one was over 350.
dogs%20today%20w_zpszu98rm6s.jpg

A few more sets and we where at a flat peace of state and had to put the Toyota in the ditch in order to hide it . Walked out to a small coulee with NO growth to hide. You gota trust your camo. When the call came on the coyotes light up I every direction, and trash talked us for a long time finally I had one pop up. It turned out to be exactly in my scope , I didn't have to lift the gun, it was already on my shoulder, and pointing dead on the coyote.

I waited for him to trot to a stop to look around wandering where the threatening coyotes, was.

Squeezed the trigger. Number 4 was twitching on the ground in front of me at 123 yards.

dogs%20today%20x_zpsitdsm7i2.jpg

Just sitting on the snow in my whites and a slight slope being me, Humm, Gota trust your camo.

Some more sets and we where in to Fort Benton. VERY nice day calling !!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back