Opinions on carlsons coyote choke tube

Chokes_zps9mzwkm6f.jpg

I have a handful of Carlson's tubes, all of them are great fitting, and when paired with the proper size shot for their bore, they do exactly what they should do.

The I tend to prefer the old version of the Dead Coyote the most, but the Carlson's Coyote is a great choke, patterns very well with #4 buck.

What size patterns and at what distances with 4BK ?

I only have a few boxes of Wingmaster HD BB left and I just bought 5 different types of # 4BK.

I'm going to start with the factory choke tubes first and go from there. Since I hunt in dense wooded areas with briars and 40yds would be a stretch. I must pattern at various distances. I'm hoping that a full (Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 in 12) would be middle of the road for 20-40yds but I may have to change chokes depending on the area calling in.

Last edited:
I shoot the tighter Carlson's turkey choke, that I believe is .655 with all my #4 buckshot loads.

Some say that this and that works great, but what is "great"?

The Carlson's turkey choke produces 100% pattern in 20" or less circle at 40 yards, this is a great pattern, but it patterns the 00 and 000 buck in a 15" circle at 40 yards.

the above has most of the 41 pellet load in 18" at 40 yards, this is a meat grinder pattern, shot out of the Beretta 391 turkey choke. Carlson's Turkey choke is tighter than this out of my 11/87 and 1100, but I do not have a pic to post of those patterns as of yet.

I have orderd some Tru Glo adjustable sights for my shotguns to adjust for my shotgun fit. ON this Beretta 391, I am low and to the left. ON the Rem 1100 and 11/87, I am a foot low. It is amazing that I killed so many coyotes with that 1100 over the years.

Last edited:
I had the old style dead coyote for a 3901 beretta. Absolutely an easy 50+ yard coyote whacker with wingmaster hd BB. Sold the gun a while back. Sold the choke to a member here. Ordered the ported dead coyote for my new winchester sx3 yesterday. I expect the same results.

Back