Anybody use X-Caliber barrels???

Robinhood21

Curious if anybody has any experience with these barrels.

Great price, too good to be true???... that's what I'm trying to find out.

Any feedback is appreciated!

I have 4 of them:

they are unreal in quality to say the least and their customer service is outstanding.

I have a bore scope and they look better than many of the top brands, with only Brux looking better.

I have one of their barrels in a 6 XBR that is the best shooting barrel I have ever owned in a 10" twist.

I am having a 6 XC and a 6.5x47 Lapua chambered in their barrels now. I had a 243 AI that I fire formed brass into groups in the .285 range with in a 10 twist with 70g Noslers, took about 12 rounds to get sighted in and load development finished with fire forming loads, how good is that?

What I have see from the barrels that I have had from them is that they do not copper foul, and I develop loads very quickly.

They have brand new, and the latest equipment to Deep drill the holes, Hone the drilled hole, button rifle, lap, and heat treat on the market. They do heat treat with the bore plugged which is very important.

Their employees give a crap about about the product that goes out the door, and they have 28 years of barrel making experience.

X caliber makes some top drawer barrels, and they are better than some of the companies barrels in the $325-$350 range. I have had all the lesser priced barrels, and X caliber is better than all of them. I inspect with a Hawkeye bore scope, then pour a lead lap to feel for high and low spots in a barrel before I have them chambered. After doing this, I am like a kid waiting on Christmas Eve to open what ever Santa Clause has left!!!

I am tempted to get into the retirement fund to buy 20 of their barrels before they raise the price! No kidding, they are that good!
Buy with complete confidence from X caliber!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanI have 4 of them:

they are unreal in quality to say the least and their customer service is outstanding.

I have a bore scope and they look better than many of the top brands, with only Brux looking better.

I have one of their barrels in a 6 XBR that is the best shooting barrel I have ever owned in a 10" twist.

I am having a 6 XC and a 6.5x47 Lapua chambered in their barrels now. I had a 243 AI that I fire formed brass into groups in the .285 range with in a 10 twist with 70g Noslers, took about 12 rounds to get sighted in and load development finished with fire forming loads, how good is that?

What I have see from the barrels that I have had from them is that they do not copper foul, and I develop loads very quickly.

They have brand new, and the latest equipment to Deep drill the holes, Hone the drilled hole, button rifle, lap, and heat treat on the market. They do heat treat with the bore plugged which is very important.

Their employees give a crap about about the product that goes out the door, and they have 28 years of barrel making experience.

X caliber makes some top drawer barrels, and they are better than some of the companies barrels in the $325-$350 range. I have had all the lesser priced barrels, and X caliber is better than all of them. I inspect with a Hawkeye bore scope, then pour a lead lap to feel for high and low spots in a barrel before I have them chambered. After doing this, I am like a kid waiting on Christmas Eve to open what ever Santa Clause has left!!!

I am tempted to get into the retirement fund to buy 20 of their barrels before they raise the price! No kidding, they are that good!
Buy with complete confidence from X caliber!!!

That's all I needed to know. Thanks buddy!

The barrel that I just got a few weeks ago is X-Caliber. I bought it under the advice of someone that is VERY knowledgeable about barrels after he fairly gushed about how good they were. Even though I have other custom barrels on other guns I took his advice and bought one. And so far I have been delighted. Just shooting off a bipod I am getting 1/4" to 3/8" in groups with it. And this was either fireforming or trying my first loads with fireformed brass. I was hoping for this but really, all I did was screw the barrel onto my Savage 12 action, headspace it, sight it in and start shooting. That's it. No load development at all really. Not so far anyway.

And when I got back from the range the barrel cleaned up SO easy too! I got just a little copper fouling the first time I shot it and like almost none the second time. This was after 50 rounds of firing both times. Most impressive.

How they can make a barrel this good and sell it this cheap is beyond me. I just wish I had me a reason to buy me another one!

With 28 years experience Id say they worked for another major barrel maker then walked out. I had heard Krieger had a meltdown.... But those are cut rifled. Who knows???

I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade, but $320 for a Savage Pre-fit must mean that the price went up.
wink.gif

http://www.x-caliber.net/bolt-action-barrels

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeContoured blank for $200 , not bad at all.

OK, but a Savage Pre-fit, at $320 is pretty average...Or am I misreading their website?

Squeeze

I bought one of their barrels for a 25-45 Sharps off of Ebay. I have yet to shot it but machining is perfect and their service was QUICK.
I have a BHW barrel for a .260 Remington and a Kreiger barrel on a .204 Ruger, I won't know till I shoot it but minus the fluting of the BHW and Kreiger the barrel was a third the price and as well as it is machined I expect good things from it.

Originally Posted By: CZ527With 28 years experience Id say they worked for another major barrel maker then walked out. I had heard Krieger had a meltdown.... But those are cut rifled. Who knows???

If its who i think it is and i'm sure it is they were bought out then shut down a couple years ago...

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: CZ527With 28 years experience Id say they worked for another major barrel maker then walked out. I had heard Krieger had a meltdown.... But those are cut rifled. Who knows???

If its who i think it is and i'm sure it is they were bought out then shut down a couple years ago...

They were making barrels for Remington, then Remington moved all the equipment from Montana to Alabama and the employees did not want to move to Alabama.

So, they found an investor, that bought all the latest hole drilling machinery, Honing machine(not all barrel makers hone their barrels after deep hole drilling), NEW latest quality rifling machine, and New heat treat equipment. No wonder they are putting out such great barrels. In a Hawkeye bore scope, their barrels look as good (or better than some) as the top drawer barrel makers due to the way the barrel is honed after it is rifled, then final lap...they are very smooth and do not copper foul with practically no break in.

I am shooting a 6 BRX with the 62g bergers going 3830 fps into groups smaller than .250, got home, cleaned with patches with only the very slightest amount of green on a patch after being soaked with Montana Extreme copper killer for 15 minutes! In this BRX every bullet with every powder that I have tried in it shoots very tiny groups. This is typical of the X caliber barrels that I have(4). I also have Krieger, Hart, Brux, Lothar Walthar, Broughton, and Shilen barrels to compare to.

The people at X caliber really give a world class effort in pleasing the customer and attention to detail in putting out a great product. The story of their company being moved leaving all the employees without jobs, then the employees starting their own company, building the company up from the ground up, is a fantastic American success story.

$120 for a Stainless unturned blank to 28" inches in length
$200 for a contoured Stainless blank to 28" in length

The quality for this price is nothing short of spectacular, and they do make AR barrels also.

Web page say six to eight weeks for a barrel. Is this about the normal lead time for them? Not to bad considering the wait time on Hart, Kreiger and the like.

Back