Coy-wolf in NorthEast

That article seems like a bunch of crap mixed together. And it says coyotes get to 75 pounds. The pictures seem don't seem to be marked right either. It seems like a story written by someone that just pulled pictures off the internet, and decided to write a bedtime story. Next week Jack and the beanstalk series.

They shouldn't of taken it. The Eastern wolf gene in Northeastern coyotes isn't new news. I don't know what all the hype is shoot them all.

Never knew of any coy wolf combos, but we definitely have coydogs here in the midwest. The rascals get to be huge sometimes.

Never seen a check point in ny...
And my family and I have personally shot several Adirondack coyotes that were over 60 lbs pretty comon here to see 50+ lbers

There is no hard evidence that coyotes breed with dogs either as they are suggesting.. But our coyotes are way bigger than out west.. Our coyotes are crossed with red wolves and I would guess about 75% of the mature ones killed are 40lbs plus...

The anti's have had pretty good luck "protecting" the wolf out west so any way they can get the general public to believe our coyotes are related may help their cause. That being said, I think it's well documented that Eastern Coyotes do have some wolf in their lineage.

NY does not have check stations for anything but deer and sometimes bear. I have never heard of any animal being taken away unless it was illegal. Maybe it was a bred wolf-dog hybrid, which are not legal in NY.

Our coyotes are larger, but it's rare to see one over 50, extremely rare over 60. Average is in the 30-35 pound range for females and a little more for males. Talk to the trappers that do large numbers of coyotes and you'll get some good numbers on weights.

Here too?? It is all over Facebook and other hunting forums, but I really didn't expect to see it here.

These are the same exact coyotes that have been in the northeast for half a century. Just now someone decided to label them and name them differently. The average "coywolf", aka eastern coyote, is 35-38lbs. Thousands of coyotes enetered in contests all over NY and PA and the ones that win are always in the 42-50lb range with most all being under 40. Yet there are all of these 55, 60, 70, 80lb dogs seen constantly.... Guess we aren't smart enough to kill them, and surely the hounds aren't good.enough to run them.... Lol. The biggest ever recorded coyote was supposedly 75lbs. Not weighed officially and not known for sure to even be an actual coyote or now known as coywolf.

A couple of years ago a guy won the sullivan county coyote contest in NY with a 72 pound coyote weighted on a certified scale.
I shot this 48lb coyote 5 yrs ago.

P1010205.jpg

i don't think that there's an animal that gets exaggerated in size and numbers more than the coyote. Every other one that's spotted crossing the rd gets described as "wolf like" and weighing 80-100 pounds. Also, there's always a huge "pack" of them. After all those miles of snow tracking and hunting I'm still looking to find more than four of them together in one spot

People that don't regularly hunt them don't realize how small they actually are under all that fur. We do in fact get some big ones up here in ny. Out of the 16 we have got this year 3 have been 50 lbs or bigger. 56lbs, 51lbs, 50lbs. The rest have been anywhere from 25-45lbs

Back