Boyds

sandy hicks

Have to give some credit to Boyds. My password and username was screwed up. Sent an email and got a reply back in less than 5 minutes. The whole thing was cleared up and order status update in less than 10 minutes.

THANKS AMANDA +++++

If you are nice to her, she is nice to you. I have been, and
she responded in kind (order mess up on their end).

Others have come on to her with an attitude, in which cases,
she responded in kind.
tt2.gif

talked to a Boyds rep at Cabelas last month about all the negative post about their cust service and he said they knew about it and was working hard to correct that problem.part of the problem here is the real lack of good employees you can walk into town and have a job somewhere with an hour.

I got the stock that I ordered in about 16 days from order to my door. And yes, GOOD help is hard to find no matter what you pay in wages these days.

Finding "good" employees is a managers hardest job. Case in point. Was looking for another flooring installer a while back....the first on talked a good job so I went to job site to check his work. He and his helper were snorting something off the kitchen counter, the second one showed up for the interview at 11:00 am, (an hour late) smelling like a brewery and the third one started bragging of cussing a customer and walking off the job. I gave up and retired after 23 years in the business. After my wife passed I've decided to start an all new business....same problem. Nobody wants to work but they all want the paycheck.

I just got an 870 stock. I'm quite unhappy with my first buying experience. Here is what I emailed them. After looking at their other 870 stock they make, the thumbhole, that one shows a picture of a stock bolt with it. I think maybe someone forgot to put one in the box. The color not matching sucks too, but I would of not bothered if it wasn't for the stock bolt problem.

Boyds Customer Service,

I received the 20 ga 870 american plainsmen stock today. My gun is brand new production and the stock bolt it came with is an OAL of 10.5 inches. This bolt sticks out 3 1/8 inch past the tang of the new stock. On the old stock it only sticks out 1/8". Therefore, the bolt is 3" too long. I looked online it would seem there is a bolt that is 2" shorter for older guns, but that is not going to be short enough it would seem. What part is required?

I'm less than happy with waiting 4 weeks, receiving it just in time for my wife's birthday present, and now it doesn't work. I'll be waiting for another week for a bolt to ship when I figure out what part is required. Needing a 10 dollar bolt is not a big deal, not being informed ahead of time by the website or during check out totally sucks. Furthermore, the color of the buttstock and forend are not even close. The forearm is a light girly pink. The buttstock is a rich purplish florescent pink. Either one would be fine if they matched.

Still waiting for them to resolve the issues. I'll post how it goes.

Last edited:
Triple,
I understand you frustration and can see the principle. You might save some time if you take your original bolt to a machinist and have him shorten the length and then extend the threads so it will fit. Only reason I mention is you indicated this is a gift for your wife and it would save some time for you.

I put the new stock on the 700 today. Took 5 minutes. Fit perfect and free floated. The only complaint that I have is some of the pictures on the website. Some of the pictures do not depict what is available or how it actually goes on the stock. Overall I am atill very pleased.

Their response was figure it out yourself, we don't know. I gave them a less than pleasant response to that. Told them I knew about their bad customer service, took a risk, got burned. Rectify it or there will be more bad reviews going up. We'll see what they say after the holiday weekend.

I was able to rig it up by going to a specialty bolt store. I got the same bolt but 8 inches. I stacked some nuts to make a spacer to take up the 1" excess. The customer service is terrible. IMHO the person just doesn't want to find out. I'm sure a gunsmith or someone works there who knows.How do they fit it to their "house action"? 870's only come with 2 bolt configurations and neither one works for their stock, so someone must fit it to their "house action" with a specialty bolt. The stock is probably inlet like that so it will also fit 1100 and 1187.

No offer to do anything about the mismatched color. Clearly it was different dye lot for the blanks.

The stock bolts up, but the fit around the tang is like a drunken 2 year old made it.

Last edited:
You can cut the long bolt off with a hack saw or dremel tool.

I have 6 boyd's stocks, they are all great...never had an issue.

Sorry your experience was bad, there is another company that is 100x worse that you hear about from time to time.

I think that the 870 stock that you are looking for is going to cost you a whole lot more money, as price drives a lot of the fit and finish of the finished product. Did your stock cost you around $100?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman

Sorry your experience was bad, there is another company that is 100x worse that you hear about from time to time.

Agreed if you are referring to Richard's Macrofit! Yes, that
one worked for me! May as well gotten a stock blank and had
someone else inlet it.
mad.gif

No, you can't cut the bolt. That would of been way too easy. It is only threaded for about 1.5 inches.

It was 180 bucks for butt and forearm shipped.

I'm ok with the fit for the price.It is just an 870 express. I would of got a wenig stock of this was a B gun. It is the bad customer service.

The correct answer is always. Sorry for your trouble. I went and asked to get you the solution. Here is the part your need. We will exchange our mismatched color mistake and will send the shipping label. Please accept a t shirt or baseball cap with your replacement part for your trouble.

Sure, they might not make a profit on my one transaction. I would however be back for my 455 varmint stock, and I would be on several forums raving about their exemplary customer service.

This is the sort of service I provide as a plumbing contractor. Own up to your mistakes, take pride in workmanship and your business. It goes a long way.

Last edited:
Back