sending carlson's tube back

I spoke with Shane at Carlson's to tell him my results from shooting the .727 choke tube and he said if I can find an extended .715 that would probably be perfect for my gun. They don't have a .715 so who's or where do I get one? Is the wingmaaster HD BB actually made for ducks? Thanks I'll get some ordered tomarrow when I pick up my #4 buck shot

Last edited:
Keep us updated on how the choke does. I also hae an 835.

GC, would steel BBs pattern as well as Hevi shot out of the same choke? I know the knock down power wouldn't be the same, but am thinking about them for snow geese.

Shayne

I wouldn't shoot steel, especially large steel pellets like BB size, through any constriction tighter than a modified.

Thanks GC. What constriction do you consider modified for steel? I'll have to take my chokes to the gun shop and have them mic'd. The Mossberg chokes say "mod with 2 & 4 steel" and "Full with T and BB steel", no actual numbers.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: gcMossberg 835 has that huge overbore 10 gauge sized barrel of .775" diameter. Sorry about hijacking, but I have wondered why every choke sizing list I've looked at lists the 835 tubes so much bigger, been meaning to look it up but you just answered that one for me

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Thanks GC. What constriction do you consider modified for steel? I'll have to take my chokes to the gun shop and have them mic'd. The Mossberg chokes say "mod with 2 & 4 steel" and "Full with T and BB steel", no actual numbers.

Shayne

If those are factory flush mount screw in chokes then shoot them as they are marked. It is confusing when the makers begin to stray from the traditional markings for lead and label things for steel instead of using constriction numbers. Modified should be about .020" of constriction from the bore size. Some makers are now marking things like this "Improved Cylinder for Lead - Modified for Steel" and/or "Modified for Lead - Full for Steel."

I'm astonished that as far back as some of these threads go and the constriction issues of the Carlson's DC choke with Hevishot T that the problem hasn't been corrected before now. I've been going through near identical conversations with both Scott and Shane Carlson. First suggesting to try the factory choke with less constriction then suggesting that I send the choke back and go to a .727 and work down from there. I'm reading these posts 5 years since originally posted.

I think I'll skip Carlson's and work with Kicks. Chuck of Kicks suggests the Howler(H) with an exit diameter of .745 for the 835/Hevishot combination. That seems a much more honest assessment than Carlson's especially given the time they've known there is an issue with the constriction.

i shoot sporting clays & have learned some things about choke tubes. if you get to tight it will blow up the pattern. the tightest tubes I shoot are improved mod .708. at 70 yards off hand 7.5 shot i can put up to 20 shot in a circle the size of a clay target 1 1/8 oz. full choke will cut that in half or less. if you are shooting 3 or 3.5 inch shells you probably have as many shot as a sporting clay load. the tubes I like best are kick's smoke, trulock, & comp-n-choke. I would give you all my full choke tubes if you had a gun they would fit in. i killed 2 coyotes last month at 45 to 50 yards with my 870, improved cyl. barrel 2 3/4 in. no. 4 buck. just my experience & opinion may-be it will help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RossignolI'm astonished that as far back as some of these threads go and the constriction issues of the Carlson's DC choke with Hevishot T that the problem hasn't been corrected before now. I've been going through near identical conversations with both Scott and Shane Carlson. First suggesting to try the factory choke with less constriction then suggesting that I send the choke back and go to a .727 and work down from there. I'm reading these posts 5 years since originally posted.

I think I'll skip Carlson's and work with Kicks. Chuck of Kicks suggests the Howler(H) with an exit diameter of .745 for the 835/Hevishot combination. That seems a much more honest assessment than Carlson's especially given the time they've known there is an issue with the constriction.

Well that stuff has to work, right? It says "Dead Coyote" right on the packaging.

Mberg claims it's safe to shoot the 835 with their full .730 Accumag choke with steel shot.That's a lot tighter than what all other brands recomend useing with the 835/steel shot.Tightest I've tried in my 835 was Kicks HF Xfull .748 with steel.With buckshot and Rem HD BB's I got the best patterns using Kicks Howler .745.

Originally Posted By: GCWell that stuff has to work, right? It says "Dead Coyote" right on the packaging.

Well, as a novice, that's why I bought it. I soon after had the buyers remorse having learned otherwise. I'm certain, I know, others have had different experiences. It's marketing hype and I've spent the months between hunting seasons cutting through the bovine scatology and hype at some expense. I can't say I haven't enjoyed shooting but its been a frustration at times.

My 835 seems tight , I've learned to loosen up the chokes from the guys I hunt with , the tight chokes open the pattern up early and give a less then happy hunt .
Good for checking the pattern but prob have a choke that will/would of worked

I bought a Carlson's Dead Coyotes Choke tube for my Rem 11-87 at the first Predator Hunting Expo in Kansas. They had an Expo special on them, they were only $20.00. LOL

The only problem I had with my Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube was it patterned tighter than I wanted at 40 yards with Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot, Remington HD Predator T shot and Remington Wingmaster HD BBs.

I started using Carlson's Extended Sporting Clays chokes in IMP/MOD and Mod with my tungsten alloy loads and they are still plenty tight at 40 yards and they kill coyotes just fine at 50 yards.

I don't shoot T shot very often anymore because I prefer Rem HD BB, or Federal Heavyweight 15g/cc #2 shot because they have many more pellets per shell than the T shot loads have.

Even the Federal Heavyweight BB coyote load that has 15g/cc shot has 12 more pellets per shell than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot load has.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI bought a Carlson's Dead Coyotes Choke tube for my Rem 11-87 at the first Predator Hunting Expo in Kansas. They had an Expo special on them, they were only $20.00. LOL

The only problem I had with my Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube was it patterned tighter than I wanted at 40 yards with Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot, Remington HD Predator T shot and Remington Wingmaster HD BBs.

I started using Carlson's Extended Sporting Clays chokes in IMP/MOD and Mod with my tungsten alloy loads and they are still plenty tight at 40 yards and they kill coyotes just fine at 50 yards.

I don't shoot T shot very often anymore because I prefer Rem HD BB, or Federal Heavyweight 15g/cc #2 shot because they have many more pellets per shell than the T shot loads have.

Even the Federal Heavyweight BB coyote load that has 15g/cc shot has 12 more pellets per shell than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot load has.

Too tight you say?! I've not has that problem.

Originally Posted By: COYKILLI shot my Mossberg 835 again today using my turkey loads and the Carlson's dead coyote choke tube and it patterned nice(just to see how the gun was shooting) but when I shot the Hevi-shot dead Coyote T shot it was bad. 3-5 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Had the gun on sand bags. Scott at Carlsons said to try my stock choke tube and it was 6 in a 10" cicle. He told me to send their tube back and he will send me a .675 tube to try. At 50 yards it will be worse so I will try the new tube because I don't feel good the way it is shooting now. They are good to work with evan though I am spending a lot on shells. I may try the Federal Hevy Weight Coyote.
uggh, I'm picking up this exact same gun in a matter of days. got it in the duck commander real tree 28" barrel and have a few fed #4 buck 3" and a box of hornaday heavy magnum coyote and 'was' excited to get it out in a few close quarter environments.

I think the Hornady coyote magnum is a 3" BB and a VersaTite load? Does the Duck Commander 835 have a ported choke?

I just posted patterns of Federal VitalShok 3" copper plated 4 buck in this thread;
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...634#Post2887634

That's with a Kicks BuckKicker XFull (.720), the best pattern so far has 15 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. The patterns themselves don't look impressive but if I can get it locked down and can get 12+ pellets at POA I'm going to call it good. I want to try Federal WingShok 3" copper plated BB too though it won't have the stopping power at longer range.

Originally Posted By: RossignolI think the Hornady coyote magnum is a 3" BB and a VersaTite load? Does the Duck Commander 835 have a ported choke?

I just posted patterns of Federal VitalShok 3" copper plated 4 buck in this thread;
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...634#Post2887634

That's with a Kicks BuckKicker XFull (.720), the best pattern so far has 15 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. The patterns themselves don't look impressive but if I can get it locked down and can get 12+ pellets at POA I'm going to call it good. I want to try Federal WingShok 3" copper plated BB too though it won't have the stopping power at longer range.
yes on the ported and yes on the BB versa tite

Extra full is a lot tighter than .720, but they can call it anything. Go to chokes in the .670-.655 for the long range stuff, or std turkey choke.

Of course, the type of hunting you do, these tight chokes may be too tight for hunting in close cover...got to love screw in chokes...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanExtra full is a lot tighter than .720, but they can call it anything. Go to chokes in the .670-.655 for the long range stuff, or std turkey choke.

Of course, the type of hunting you do, these tight chokes may be too tight for hunting in close cover...got to love screw in chokes...

Anything I talk about is for the 835 I described above. The .720 choke is already a constriction of .055 in the over bored 10 gauge barrel of the 835 which is why Kicks lists it as an XFull. The tightest turkey choke I've seen for the 835 .670 or a massive constriction of .105, more than a full tenth of an inch. That would be like a .625 in a 12 gauge bore of .730. The factory full turkey choke is .695 but isn't tight enough for turkey and too tight for buckshot.

There's nothing standard about the 835. Standard choke calculations don't work. You mention a .660 or a constriction of .070 roughly. That would just put the 835 at .705 exit diameter and that's definitely not turkey choke territory. It's been frustrating to work around.

Last edited:
Back