Cronidur 30 High Tech Steel

woodguru

After reading about Cronidur 30 and it's properties as a knife steel I had to try it, there are two commercial companies using it, Boker and Zwilling (Henckel). A set of five kitchen knives lists at something like $3000+, $1100 for a set of four steak knives. After shopping for some time I found an 8 inch carving knife that lists at something like $450 for $88 on Amazon so I got it. This thing has a truly beautiful shape and feel, and has G10 handles. They are beyond sharp, and hold an edge as they are supposed to.

I found the set of four steak knives for $150 so I got those too, they are the perfect boning knife shape with a super thin and flexible blade. They are easily the best steak knives I've ever seen or used. I take a couple of passes on a full sized ceramic "steel" after washing them and they have easily maintained their factory razor sharpness. It takes no pressure to cut meat, and my wife always has one out when prepping vegetables and fruit. These are getting continuous everyday use.

I've been a fan of VG10 steel for it's ability to stay sharp while skinning and prepping deer, elk, or moose, but this steel is better.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyWhat links? I want to read about these knives you just bought.

Look up Henckel (Zwilling) Cronidur, or Boker, the Turbine 42 uses it, I'm looking at getting one of them...

...but first lookup Cronidur 30 itself first to get a better idea of how the steel is made. It's an alloy made under nitrogen or vacuum conditions so that the actual crystalline structure of the metal is much harder, tighter, and smoother. It was developed for NASA to have the most corrosion resistance possible.

One of the things I like is the "bite" you can feel on a ceramic stone when you sharpen them with a few light passes. I just used the 8 inch carver on a turkey yesterday, it cuts like a dream.

If you look on Amazon they may still have that 8 inch carver at $88, it's a steal at that.

Back