How to aneal your brass?

zr600

Ok i just started realoding thi summer. I am currently reloading 3 calipers 223, 22-250, 270 win. Do i meed to worry about anealing my brass how do i do it and what do i need, and why?

I make 22-204, 6mm-204 and 25-204 wildcats and that works the brass a lot, expanding and compressing causes brass to harden and get brittle. I get a couple of reloads and the necks start to craçk if I don't anneal. My 22-250 has a short chamber and I use the same 50 cases over and over and sizing the necks will cause the neçk brass to get harder and you can start to feel a distinct difference in neçk tension when seating bullets, time to anneal.

I use a deep socket that is just large enough for the case to drop in and mount the socket in an electric drill. While spinning the case in the drill I hold the neck of the case in the flame of a butane torch until the brass changes colour then tip the socket down dumping it on to a wet towel to cool the case before the heat can move into the body of the case.

I also anneal the front half of 9.3x72R cases before sizing them down to 6.5x58R. If I don't the brass will crease instead compressing to the shapes of the new case.

6.5x58R center, parent case 9.3x72R right. As you can see it takes a lot of sizing to make cases and that hardens the brass so it no longer compresses but folds in on itself, annealing even new brass is needed to make the cases.

Using factory brass for the correct cartridge I don't anneal, I get quite a few reloads before I need to anneal and sometimes it is easier to toss old brass. I haven't ever annealed until loading for case formed wildcats.

Last edited:
Back