Red Dot Red !

Pa. Mick

Red Dot Red !
11/25/15 / male 3:00am

Starting the first set of several was a little unusual to say the least. It was a full moon that would shine through the cloud cover kind of illuminating the night with a soft glow. Wrong wind where i wanted to start of coarse so i jumped to the next square. Wouldn't you know many yips, howls and barks erupted from the spot i wanted to be. The stiff south wind was moving the cloud cover so fast i watch as the clear skies moved in and the temps dropped 20-30 degrees instantly. As i was about ready to move on a car stopped and the giggles started. What the he!! Shined them with the light a couple times. Appeared to be funny to them ! So then i really LIT them up !

The driver exited the car and i started yelling that they were breaking the law interfering with a hunt only to find out she was the property owners daughter. Her father had passed away and she now owns the farm. Lucky for me she is a very pleasant person to speak with and she reminded me of another section of the property that i may still hunt on. Parting with her i hurried on my way.

Blank set after blank set until the fifth. I had missed a gray here last week. I placed my call in the picked bean field. The cut cornfield to my left is where the gray snuck in on me the other day. There is a piece of woods that juts out into the middle of the field. As i set my stool down i scan the field. There he is ! About 200 yards down the field hunting along the edge of the woods. I quickly get seated. My stealth coming in is going to pay off once more. Nutty nuthatch has him coming instantly ! I put the scope on him. I CAN'T SEE !! The air is so cold from the front that had moved in my breath instantly fogged my eyepiece.

I turn the Fusion all the way down. Quickly i use a handkerchief to wipe my scope. The fox is gone. Turn the call back up. Nothing ! I switch to bluejay. There he is, had already moved over into the corn. As he's running in i light him up at 110 paces. Zoom in with the vortex 3x12 hog hunter scope. Try something different, i turn on the red dot in the duplex crosshairs. RIGHT BETWEEN THE LOOKERS ! The 204 drops him in place !

CAF07270-F119-4DD4-BF21-17A36923D024-424-000001341917AAB0_zpsbkqqetmf.jpg

F0B81E60-8A8C-4577-82D5-14BA572283CE-133-0000007AA16C85CA_zpscjtelfru.jpg

4E145F26-FA67-4573-8765-971EB14627BB-133-0000007AC8FAB229_zpssg733tcr.jpg

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That's a nice looking red... Fox are not common in my area... Is that a bell in the trees?

Yes, that old bell called my son & neighborhood kids out of our woods whenever we needed them while they were growing up. Hasn't been used in quite some time now.

Good eye !

Back