Breeding season

Pete Robinette

I live in the N Georgia area bordering TN. I went hunting some the past week and we have had two different incidents where coyotes were breeding. One night and we had one coyote crossing the field as we were entering the field and the coyote met up with another and they left the field. I knew I heard a female whimper sound but did not see anything. We kept calling and later one of the coyotes entered the field from where the whimper was heard and then ran back. A farrier friend of mine was shoeing some horses today and seen two coyotes locked up in a field. The areas were in two different counties but the counties border each other. I did not think breeding season was till Jan. Anybody else seeing something like this? Or ever heard of coyotes breeding this early?

Lucky dog lucky dog ! Maybe their names are Buck, the rut is in and all the Bucks are getting theirs ! Maybe tonights the night or maybe they just take it when they can get it !

Sorry couldn't resist. Probably as in most of nature there are no hard fast rules. January is a ball park figure. Turkeys breed normally around April but you can see very small poults in the fall. Same with fawns, some are born well after the gestation period long after the rut. Depends when their cycle starts.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyMust be casual sex
lol.gif

I'm in Dalton/Chatsworth. I shot a female last year that was very "swollen" in the fall. Was around September/October If I remember right. Was odd,, and myself and other coyote hunters talked about it.Have always wondered the truth on breeding time around here. Don't know when it is,,, but is way tougher hunting in Jan/Feb/March. I think they have "a pairing up" before all that goes on,, and possible for one to be in heat twice in a year.

Last edited:
Purebred coyotes will come in once a year and around this part of the world, it happens anywhere from the first of December through January. If nothing happens to the male or female, they will mate for life.

That's the months I use too. She could have been early I guess,,, I was so surprised by it,,I took pictures and sent them to a few friends. Don't think she was crossed,, but was the size of a half dollar. Thanks for the information.

Back