6.8 or ????? build

When I first learned of the 6.8 SPC I looked into it as a possible AR platform stand in for my .243 Winchester bolt rifles. After some study, I just wasn't impressed enough at the time to try one. Fast forward a couple of years to the development of the 6.8 SPC II chamber and I began to really take notice. A 90 grain bullet at 2900 FPS from an AR sounded like something I could definitely live with, so I stepped up.
Just a week before the Sandy Hook shooting I'd ordered a new 16" RRA barrel for a 5.56 build I was doing. When the two to four week delivery of the barrel was endlessly extended, I decided to use the RRA upper receiver I'd planned to use for the .223 as the platform for a 6.8 SPC II upper build. Bison Armory provided a 16" recon barrel, YHM FF forearm, Stag bolt, and low profile gas block, and happily agreed to install all their parts, and verify proper headspace of their Stag bolt on my RRA upper receiver at no charge. Rock River finally called 14 months after I'd ordered their barrel, and two months after I'd completed my 6.8 to see if I still wanted their 5.56 barrel. NOT.
After finishing the 6.8 build, I used it as my primary coyote rifle the first winter I had it. Using 90 grain Sierra Varminters, and 90 grain Speer TNT's, I took about a dozen coyotes that first winter, and was very happy with the performance of the 6.8 SPC II I'd built. Though its trajectory is not near as flat is my .243's or .22-250's, when used at ranges of 200 yards or less it works very well for 90% of the coyote shooting I do. In Indiana I can't use my 6.8 AR for deer as a rifle, but can use the upper over a pistol lower for deer. I took a 204# field dressed buck with it a couple of years ago using factory loaded 110 grain Pro Hunters. I shot the buck through the lungs at 120 yards causing it to run forward about 10 yards, then stand wobbling. A second shot through the shoulders put the deer on the ground. Both bullets completely penetrated and exited the deer.
My 6.8 SPC II upper is mounted over a RRA lower fit with a Timney 3# trigger. I run it with a Colt M-16 bolt carrier and an H-2 buffer. I use a Magpull MOE 6 position stock, and have changed the YHM FF forearm to a Troy FF forearm that fits my hands better. I topped the rifle with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40 scope in a Larue mount. With my handloads, I get .75 inch five shot groups with my 90 grain bullets.

Back