6.5 creedmoor bullet suggestion for coyotes

I expect runners when shooting the Bergers or Scenars/SMKs out of my .260. The HP Match bullets don't anchor dogs nearly as effectively or frequently as the Amax. I only shoot the 123 Amax anymore....

Love the videos! I shot one with 123 Amax out of my 260, broadside at 120 yards. DRT, through the off shoulder with a smaller than expected exit.

Neither of those had "small exits".... especially the one that was called in. Most of the broadside shots produce racquetball size exits.

Got one tonight at about 350 yds with 140gr A-max out of my Creedmoor. Bout a baseball sized exit hole. Lungs and heart came out in a pink mist. Cleaned her out completely.

Been awhile on the thread, but going to dig it up. Still searching for a good coyote bullet in the creedmoor. Had some chances for real world testing and have not found anything that i am happy with. All the dogs i have shot with the creedmoor hit the dirt hard, jump up and run. Almost all of them required a second shot. Wanting to try the v max but no one seems to have them in stock.

mpitmann- I have had great luck with the Sierra MK 123, Berger Hunting VLD 130 and Hornady A-max 120 for small consistent groups and shooting steel out to 600.

I know these bullets aren't economical but I've shot 2 coyotes under 50 yds with my Creedmoor and didn't do anything damaging to the fur. 140 gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets.

Have you tried any of the lighter stuff? I'm trying 100 gr Amax and 85 gr Sierra's in my 264 lbc. Have yet to take a shot at a coyote with it but have no doubt they will do the job. Hopefully they won't make too big of a mess of the coyote.

What about trying some of the FMJ's available for 6.5? I know dedicated fox fur hunters who use .223 FMJs to minimize fur damage. I wish I could find some for my .204, because the .204 just blows up fox. Despite trying, I've yet to hit a coyote with it
frown.gif

I have shot several now with the 123 A-max, closest was 85 yards longest around 580. I have shot two over 400 and they weren't tore up to bad. All of them under 250 have been messy. Not what I would call fur friendly but all I have shot so far have been DRT. Nothing has run off or required a follow up shot.

drscott

Well if you are looking for one shot instant kills bullets under 100 grs are going to be the best.However you are going to give up alot of B.C.
Have you considered the 107 SMK launched
About 3K ????? Might want to!!
Berger 140 are going to give you pass thrus all the time, so expect run offs.
The bullets are everything when you are trying to get instant kills. Case n point,100gr Speers from my 25/06 will produce about 90% run offs consistently.
Switch to 90gr BlitzKings will yeild 95%
Instant kills........huge difference for coyotes.
Shooting VLD 140s from my 6 5x55 at 2800fps into a 150lb deer carcass at 300yds they whistle right thru it every
Shot thru both shoulders. Very small exit hole. So you can imagine how easily they would pass thru a 30lb coyote ???? Especially if they are getting started 2700 or less from a short barrel.
Good luck and try a 107gr SMK and I bet you will see the difference.

Last edited:
Back