Pros and cons

rtaylor

I am still debating whether or not to suppress my AR and need some help.

I don't really care about coolness factor. My only goal is to protect my hearing and not wake up the neighbors so forcefully when coyote hunting.

My hang up right now is the dirty factor of suppressors. I shoot pretty often at the range but I'm not doing mag dumps. Usually going through 20-30 rounds per week. I try to keep my AR pretty clean and don't want to have to clean it after every visit to the range. Am I going to have problems if I don't clean it after every outing to the range? How dirty are suppressors really?

I feel that shooting suppressed, Especially hunting suppressed has huge benefits.
Just looking at hearing loss from hunting alone its worth doing. I have hunted all my life starting at age 3-4 with my father. I would much rather have done it suppressed and have my hearing today.
Besides your AR what other weapons would you want to suppress?
If you go with a 30Cal suppress you can use it on any thing from 300 Win mag and down.
a 556 thru a 30 cal is very quiet. Around 125-128 DB as shooters ear. This is well below the level that damage is done.
feel free to ring me at 816-718-9489 i have a full line of Class III, and want to put you in the correct suppressor for your needs.
RLTW
Steve

Man, I wish I would have taken a few pics of my 300 blk I cleaned last night. It was FILTHY. Of course I had close to 500 rounds through it, mostly subs.

Is it worth it ???

Abso-effin-loutly !!!

It's not your barrel specifically, that you will need to clean more often. You will...but it's not life changing.
Its your upper, your trigger group and your bcg that you'll need to take care of.

Blow back through the gas system and even the bore will greatly increase the amount of carbon build up that your internals will receive.
There are lubes that you can use to run your AR "wet" but you will still need to clean it often. It's just easier to clean with a preventative precaution.

As for Suppressed gun fire ("125-128") being "well below the level that damage is done"
Well that's simply not true. The duration of exposure is what defines what db level is safe.
One gun shot at 150db can suck and cause damage.
100 gun shots at 125db can suck and cause damage.
1000 gun shots at 115 can suck and cause damage.
This is not opinion, this is OSHA standard.

OSS suppressor will almost eliminate the back pressure. I know it sounds like I'm telling you a story but I own both kinds of suppressors and it is fact. If you want to know more about it you can PM me or just post on this thread.

I'm not promoting any one supressor over another. Right now I own an OSS and two silencerco cans and I like them all. You just mentioned keeping you gun clean. The difference between a conventional can and the oss is this. When I shoot my AR with a conventional can the unfired casings in my magazine get fairly blackened by the back pressure gas. With my OSS the stay much much cleaner and there is next to no blow back in my face. I telling you this from first hand experience from 1000s of rounds.

Hope this helps

This is good info. from someone that shoots and I appreciate it. I have been kicking around the idea for a while of owning one but have not made the buy.

You won't regret having one! Your third sentence frames in all what is great about a suppressor. Yes your AR will get dirty. They clean up fast and you'll get a routine down. It's all pro and no con in my view.

I can tell you that after buying my first suppressor last year, I now have a total of 6 with another one in jail and yet another on order. Compared to some that is not much... Anyway, for the most part, I really only regularly shoot the guns that have suppressors. Yes it gets the gun a little more dirty but it is just so much more pleasant to shoot with a can.

Back