Opening weekend -$- Rifle OklAhoma

Infidel 762

Staff member
Had some family come down for opening weekend... Took em' out to my ranch and put em' on some deer;

Had 4 shooters, including my daughter... I ran back and forth getting people into stands, then aided as a spotter with my daughter on the rifle... Within the first 2 hours of light we had a respectable deer in my daughter's cross hairs.. Less than 80 yards broadside, she decided to pass him;

I looked at him through binoculars and recognized him immediately... He is a young deer with a lot of potential... However, she now wishes she would have taken him;

On the edge of hearing was the gentle crackle of gunfire... My relatives are weekend warriors at best, when it comes to hunting.. If they are happy with a deer, I encourage them to shoot it;

Was close to dusk when I heard another shot... Minutes later my phone was vibrating... Ended my daughter's hunt early to go aid in the recovery... It was this guy that left the blood trail;

And at the end of the rainbow;

This is my brother in-law's second deer he has ever taken;

If my daughter had not been so picky, everyone would have gotten their deer... It was still a decent hunt.

Opening weekend, Rifle; white tail 2015...

Good on you, that's a great way to interact with kin..
thumbup1.gif

The deer on your place never seem to amaze me! I see two or three white tails like that a season if Im lucky, and they are always laid up exactly in the very middle of a 5 thousand acre field, completely safe and unapproachable!

Good job, Jeremy! That's a really nice buck; do you think he's 3 1/2? Give him a few years and he's gonna be a real whopper!

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762

I looked at him through binoculars and recognized him immediately... He is a young deer with a lot of potential... However, she now wishes she would have taken him;

Regards,
Clarence

Thanks all

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Good job, Jeremy! That's a really nice buck; do you think he's 3 1/2? Give him a few years and he's gonna be a real whopper!

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762

Regards,
Clarence

I am not an expert on aging them on the hoof, but the body on that deer looks like a 2 and a half year old.. He Keeps walking around in the open,nduring daylight hours he is not going to survive long... My neighbors will pop him in a heart beat.

I'm no expert on aging either, Jeremy, but 2 1/2 was my first guess.....tops 3 1/2. Fairly long legs, no pot belly and straight back, I think you're right. Shame he won't survive three or four more years....WOW!

Regards,
hm

Back