Below Zero Clothing

brianf1

Morning guys, i have a wolf hunt in january with Kap River. ive hunted in some cold weather but never outside in ZERO degrees all day. wondering how many layers and of what etc.
i have a few merino base layers and a jacked/bib set from Gray Wolf Wollens, just wondering what goes in between.

thanks

If you are headed to Kap River Outfitters in Kapuskasing, ON you can expect -25c to -45c temperatures. I wear a tight fitting compression base layer, then a fleece long sleeve shirt, browning full curl wool sweater, full curl jacket. For bottoms I wear a tight base layer and a pair of insulated cabelas pants. All covered by a snow camo cover suit. On the feet I wear a good pair of wool socks and an 800g pair of Irish Setters. Best of luck on your hunt.

Bring different thickness of merino wool. Sounds like you have good gear otherwise. Neck gaiter and proper headgear too. What boots are you bringing? I like smart wool socks. Two pair a day if you walk a lot. Silk boxers to stop the rub. And merino wool layered. Then the outer wool gear. But I've only done WI below zero like that. The wind will be the killer I'm guessing.

I wear the merino wool stuff like most but add the silk base layer from my neck to toes. They offer several weights of long silk under garments at Cabelas. On a long day these will reduce drag and fatigue more than you think.
I also got the boxers, sock liners, and glove liners.

thanks guys.
my boots are Baffin pac boots with removable liners

socks are ice breaker or first lite wool, maybe a blend i forget

base layer: ice breaker heavy weight base layer (200 or 300wt) tops and bottoms

base/mid layer:cabalas polar tec heavy wt base (the fuzzy fleece ones might wear as a mid layer)

baklava/wool skull cap, goggles, gaiter

jacket with hood and bibs and wind stopper insulation

gloves are outdoor research mittens with mitten liner (going to wear a thin shooting glove inside)

what do you think?

i also have a few different types of merino 200 wt long sleeve 1/4 zip shirts, that i usually wear hunting around here

i have read that some guys wear a fleece vest as another mid layer or even a puffy jacket? or even stuff hand warmers in between layers.

i dont mind not seeing game, but if i dont enjoy the trip to the beautiful outdoors because im not prepared ill kick myself.

Last edited:
Get a hand muff and bring extra hand/body warmers. Also, If you will be sitting in a blind, plan to carry as many layers in on your pack as possible. If you get sweated up walking in you will be miserable in a short time. Merino or not.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
How bad is the merino wool to itch? In years past I tried wool and always had the itch problem.
100% Merino wool has no itch unless you are allergic. It is soft and comfortable. I stick with the main brands like Smartwool, Icebreaker, Patagonia, Minus33, and maybe the best Woolpower.

I thought about buying a pack of the large back warmers and stuffing them in my ruck. If it got a little crazy weather wise I would plaster myself with them.
I also figure I would wrap one around a water bottle so it wouldn't freeze up in my pack.
Have you guys had problems with cameras in that temp, I thought about a skinny one stuffed in a interior chest pocket so the batteries don't die.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksMotorcycle electric heated vest may go a long way.

I have a heated vest from cabelas. If you get one get the heavy duty battery also. Does drain battery down fairly fast but i do love being able to warm up my core temp in extreme cold. It also helps when not even turned on. Not cheap but can't put a price on fun ! With my cabelas points mine was FREE !

Don't know if you will be driving at all while there but we also bought magnetic block heater to keep motor oil warm overnight for truck & extension cord.

I also have Under Armor extreme cold thermal underwear i love. Take toe warmers also !
Under Armor cold weather hood is nice also !

Don't forget the goggles they work great ! Let us know how you do.

Have a great trip and good luck !!!

Basically, think Arctic not winter conditions . If you can find a blast freezer you can go hang out in with fan forced 30 below air blowing around. That's a good placebo try.out gear. You don't need the high dollar Under Armour gear. Just get.The moderately priced polyester long johns and zip neck tops. Then 200 wt polar tec. Then 300wt polar fleece. Then your light down jacket or Thinsulate then your arctic bibs and parka over top all that . Then the snow camp cover-up over that. I wear a beaver mushers hat over a full head and face balaclava. You want spare full head and face.balaclava s because they get sweated and snorted up. Then they freeze to your beard or face and you got problems!!!
Fly in along on a snogo @ 40 below is full blown arctic style cold. I like arctic style pacs like the Cabela's Trans Alaska or Saskatchewan pacs. Your feet won't get cold in them . As long as they aren't Too tight. Same with your mitts.and really all your gear. It needs to fit but be somewhat roomy. Compression fit long johns SUCK in seriously cold . . I like just snug , comfortable for my base layer.
Some guys talk ALOT about wool but I'm not crazy about it. It takes a long time to dry it's not warm enough for its weight for me and you still need a wind shell.
Canada Goose arctic down gear is just right.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have it under control.

I would suggest bringing heat packs. THey are cheap, and easy if you are cold.

I also carry a set of military field jacket liner top and bottoms, for when it gets colder than expected out.

I was out, and one time was out in the -10 to -20 all day and it wasn't expected and those liners were the key for me. They are light weight, dry fast, and were $10 each. Hard to go wrong there.
I also have a set of the 3 finger shooting surplus mittens that are pack cloth and leather hands, with wool 3 finger mitten inserts. They work amazingly well, and again under $10 on sale. The wool mittens are worth it alone.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...eld+pants+liner

Good luck on your hunt I have a friend that hunted up at Kaps he scored a wolf and says its freaking cold his food froze lol

i read about someones food freezing, i guess a peanut butter sandwich inside my jacket or a few hand warmers in a one of my kids insulated lunch boxes to keep it warm.

the liners might be a good ideas well, ruck is going to be pretty full. but my legs are the one part that i might be prepared for. i have base layer, maybe a mid, a pair of mountain hardware compressor pants (primaloft/climbing pants and then my 300 gr insulated bibs)...the rest of my body is what i scared of. lol

Thing to remember is people have been hunting in the winter for thousands of years. The Cabela's Trans Alaska Down Parka is a pretty good one for the.price.
Have a lighter weight down or synthetic fill jacket for underneath it. In case you get to exerting yourself and sweating in your parka. Extra handkerchief are nice as you will need to clean your goggles and things . Oh, and, salads wont keep you warm . Peanut butter is great!!!! Complex and quick carbs will turn your internal heater on fast. And you will be using more food than you may be used to. Warming up the air you breath burns a surprising amount of food.

Back