North Idaho Toms

dogmandan

0922151620.jpg

After along day of grouse hunting (with no results) around N. Idaho, I was heading out of the mountains when these two fellers' trotted out on front of me. I jumped out of the truck as they began running up a rocky hillside and took aim with my Mossberg 500 which unfortunately was not set up at the time for Turkey. A quick pull of the trigger twice, sent one right over fluttering while the other jumped and took flight down the mountainside, but slowly I recalled. I ran up the hill to claim my prize and after a quick ring of the neck to dispatch the bird property, tagged it and threw it in the truck. I hopped in the truck and headed down the road. A minute later, and directly below my previous location did very surprisingly a turkey suddenly fall out of a pine tree right onto the road directly in front of my truck. I stopped quite abruptly, got out and scratched my head as I looked around. I assumed it had been the second bird I shot which had keeled over in the tree from its wounds onto the road. So, I picked it up, tagged it as well and threw it next to his partner. Decent sized birds, both beards measured over 9 inches and spurs ran about an inch on both as well. Fall Turkey never ceases to impress and baffle me at the same time.

Back