Reputable decoy trainer/breeder

mirage98

Could someone point me in the direction for a reputable breeder/trainer?

Ideally I'd like to pick up a fully trained dog with plenty of experience. More than just a started dog.

I'm located in Texas for what it's worth.

Scott, I don't really remember the details that much. I do know that a friend of mine has been in contact with Duane and says he has helped him a lot develop his decoy dogs. I'll try to get a look at it when I have time.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonWhat were your thoughts on that video, Al?

I was dumb enough to buy it, enough said.

I'm not a dog trainer but I think I have some decent dogs. He and I don't do a single thing that I saw alike. I guess everyone has a different definition of what a dog does. I'll leave it at that.

Scott, I borrowed the dvd today and watched it. Obviously, it was not very well produced, with all the wind noise and music that I didn't think added anything at all to the dvd. It was not very strong in continuity, as some of the included segments didn't seem to me they had anything to do with what was just shown. Also, I don't see where having 4 or 5 dogs attacking a snared coyote have anything to do with training a decoy dog. On the other hand, some of the basic stuff Duane talked about could be useful to a beginner. I especially liked his explanation of how he uses the training collar.

I doubt that the dvd being poorly produced has very much to do with Duane's ability as a breeder or trainer, or the quality of the pups and dogs he sells. He says several times in the narrative sections that his way is not the only way, but it has worked well for him. As I said before, he has been very helpful to a buddy of mine who trained two nice decoy dogs. I surely didn't mean anything I posted to put down anybody. Just trying to help the guy who started the thread. He would be well served in contacting Scott or any of the guys who have had experience with decoy dogs.

Duane is very meticulous with his breeding program. Everyone wants something different from a dog and people use several methods to accomplish it. I hunt my dogs to suit my needs and I enjoy it. The only right was is the way that works for you. If a guy is having fun then his way is the right way regardless of whether or not it's my way or not. I don't get upset about a dog anymore. I kind of like people not knowing how many I have or if they're any good or not. If a dog is standing in my backyard you can bet she's a good one, in my eyes anyway and that's all that matters.

Scott, I have seen enough video clips of your dogs working to know you have good ones. They work coyotes in a way that any coyote hunter and dog lover should like. I know that I wish I had one or two like them. I watched my dad train our beagles and listened a lot to his thinking about selective breeding, and saw the results that we had some of the best hunting beagles in the country. People came from hundreds of miles to buy our pups. Dad was real thorough and patient, starting pups from the feed pan to the field, and they handled so well. We had many years of fun hunting over them, and I sure miss my dad, brother, and the dogs.

Keep up the good work.

Al & Scott, any chance you can head me the right direction so that I can watch some of the video clips of Scott's dogs working?
Thanks Bryan

Here's on where I was holding the camera and its shaky but it was a great stand. The catahoula is 10 months old and the little red dog is a 10# Patterdale terrier.

Yeah, that would have made it better, but the content was still good. Also, 2 Bad Little Girls and a couple of others on the same page are real good. Was the light colored dog in 2 Bad LIttle Girls a BMC or some other breed?

I really like that Catahoula and BMC cross. She looked like the real deal to me. I have commented before about a friend who has a male Catahoula and Border Collie cross. He is not only good looking, but he is the smartest dog I have ever been around. If I had a BMC female to breed, I'd have to think about breeding to "Bud". The friend who owns him runs a big cattle farm, and he has learned everything on his own.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonHere's on where I was holding the camera and its shaky but it was a great stand. The catahoula is 10 months old and the little red dog is a 10# Patterdale terrier.

Where'd you find a Patterdale at in OK ? Want and need this !!

Back