Best set up for a Mossberg 835 for Coyotes?

wbyman

I have a Mossberg 835 with a 28 " barrel. What is the best choke to buy and the best ammo for that choke ? I will be using it on Coyotes at ranges to 60 yards here in west central IL. Thanks for the help. I have a Star brand extra full[.675"] ported choke and 3 1/2 " Winchester #4 buck right now, just wiondered if there was anything better.

you'll need to patter it on paper. I had one, generally found that extra full chokes did best for long range with a variety of buckshot loads -#4 buck, 00 & 000, all in either 3 or 3.5"

I liked #4 buck for yotes, the larger stuff was used for driven deer. Though I did kill a yote at 50 - 60 yards while deer hunting with 000 buck.

Hello, Have a 835 as well and been trying to get a good pattern for coyotes as well. Have tried several Mossberg chokes(full turkey-.695, full-.730, modified-.750 and the Carlson Dead Coyote-.685)with poor results. The best so far with my 835 has been with the Modified choke and #4 buck. I think the fulls and Dead Coyote has too much restriction for the overbore 835. Just my opinion. The DC choke is restricting .090 thousandths. Been trying different loads as well but nothing jumps out as being the magic load. Bought some DC hevi-shot this week but haven't tried them yey. I think a ckoke between my modified and full will be the ticket hust from what I'm seeing. Gonna try to find something around .710 and .725 and see what happens. There is no magic load and choke for the 835, every gun is different, like everyone has stated you got to pattern it and go from there, just my two cents on what I've found so far with mine,Good luck and pad the shoulder,
Ron

I used a Kicks choke in my mossberg.

More important than the choke on the 835 is the recoil pad you put on it and which mouth guard you use so you dont chip a tooth when you pull the trigger.

+1 on Furhunters reply. best info yet.
scared.gif

So far with mine I have only shot a full choke with the Win #4 Buck in 3 1/2". I just picked up a dead coyote choke to see how it shoots. It did somewhat ok with the full but there were a few holes in the pattern that i'm hoping the tighter choke will correct. And yes I need a better recoil pad.

i patterned dead coyote loads at 40 yds in my moss 500 with 686 choke and was not happy with it. tried remmy #4 buck-- worked much better ---PLUS i save few bucks on buying dc loads. BUT like everything --got to try something to see what works an what does not. trying out stuff always gives you a good excuse to shoot.

I wouldn't attempt shooting those 3.5 4 bucks through the choke you have.Way to tight.The Mberg rep I talked with recommended a Mod .750 with buckshot.I replaced the stock pad with a KickeEez.Try Kicks HF XF and F.Both shoot buckshot well but I seriously doubt any choke/load will get you to 60yds.

I know this is an older thread, I'm a new member and just beginning the processes myself for finding the best set up for my 835 with 20" barrel.

I purchased the Carlson's Dead Coyote choke and the Hevishot Dead Coyote T load because I figured the choke was designed for that load and in addition I had talked with both Scott and Shane Carlson and based my decisions on their input. While their site says the choke is designed for devestating downrange lethality with buckshot and T loads, my experience says otherwise.

I believe that choke is way tight for the Hevishot T loads but I am getting decent patterns with Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density B 3" coyote. If I can figure out posting pics from my phone, I'll add the patterns. They're fairly symmetrical and the entire pattern is about 24" at 40 yards with 69 of 74 pellets in 30". I haven't counted the 10" circle but I can.

I've spoken with Chuck of Kicks and he recommends the Howler(H) for the Hevishot which is a .745 exit diameter or a constriction of .030 for the 835. I'm hesitant as that seems wide but Kicks replacement policy to swap the choke until you have one that works as desired is second to none I'm told. That may be enough for me to purchase that choke and work from there. Chuck says the Howler/Hevishot combination for the 835 produced 22" wide patterns.

Best patterns in my 835 is with that .745 Kick's Howler.That's with 3" 4 buck and Rem's discontinued 2 3/4" HD BB.Think you'll find Kicks .745 with buckshot is your best bet.Another good choice is Kick's GT .680 with Fed's 3" copper washed BB load.

Originally Posted By: GCRoss...,
Have you looked through this thread?

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351#Post777351

Yes sir, I'm just several pages into it. Now I want to be clear in that I'm talking about the over bored 835, so going down to the .688 or .685 of the Carlson's is way too much.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Best patterns in my 835 is with that .745 Kick's Howler.That's with 3" 4 buck and Rem's discontinued 2 3/4" HD BB.Think you'll find Kicks .745 with buckshot is your best bet.Another good choice is Kick's GT .680 with Fed's 3" copper washed BB load.

What would think of that GT tube in .680 with the 3" Winchester HD B?

I wouldnt try any HD shot with that much constriction.The guy I talked with at Kicks said the .745 was the tightest I should use with HD or steel.

Originally Posted By: yotichaserHello, Have a 835 as well and been trying to get a good pattern for coyotes as well. Have tried several Mossberg chokes(full turkey-.695, full-.730, modified-.750 and the Carlson Dead Coyote-.685)with poor results. The best so far with my 835 has been with the Modified choke and #4 buck. I think the fulls and Dead Coyote has too much restriction for the overbore 835. Just my opinion. The DC choke is restricting .090 thousandths. Been trying different loads as well but nothing jumps out as being the magic load. Bought some DC hevi-shot this week but haven't tried them yey. I think a ckoke between my modified and full will be the ticket hust from what I'm seeing. Gonna try to find something around .710 and .725 and see what happens. There is no magic load and choke for the 835, every gun is different, like everyone has stated you got to pattern it and go from there, just my two cents on what I've found so far with mine,Good luck and pad the shoulder,
Ron

I would agree. I had an 835 and couldn't get it to pattern well at all with anything other than a modified choke when I was shooting #4 buckshot. You could try an Improved Modified if you wanted just a bit tighter but I think that the over bored barrel is going to give you fits. I finally dumped mine and went back to the 500 and have never looked back.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I wouldnt try any HD shot with that much constriction.The guy I talked with at Kicks said the .745 was the tightest I should use with HD or steel.

Just ordered the Kicks in the .745.

Good choice.As Snow mentioned something around mod is best.I also talked with someone at Mberg and he said to use their mod which is .750 in both their std Accumag and XFactor extended chokes.Just out of curiosity I'd like to try Kicks .740.I tried a Trulock .742 but it didnt work as well as the Kicks.Though tighter the Kicks design is different enough that it might just work.Also any of the XFactor chokes to see how much difference there is between extended and flush of the same constriction.

been hunting w/an 835 w an xtra full choke for yrs,recently been using winchester longbeard #5 for turkeys with several over 60 yds. 3.5" is the only way to go. Guys that say it kicks hard havent shot many large caliber rifles...I used to shoot a single 10,that kicked HARD.

The Howler should be here tomorrow. Whatever I find will be added to the choke and load thread started by GC. I'm currently on page 13.

Just to update. I tried the Kicks .745 with the Hevishot DC. Patterns were way open, couldn't get decent count I'm 10" and sent it back for the BuckKicker XFull at .720. Currently patterning Federal Premium VitalShok 3" copper plated 4 buck through it and averaging 12 pellets in 10" at 40 yards though the patterns aren't pretty. They aren't especially uniform. I have patterns posted in the thread GC referenced above on page 79. I'm going to compare the 4 buck through the factory ulti-full .695 tomorrow.

I'm going to try the DC load through it tomorrow as well. I know, it's not recommended to run heavy loads through anything tighter than .745 but its been done already and the Carlsons DC choke is something like a .690 or maybe even a little less. And it patterns decently to 50 yards with Winchester heavy B.

Back