Need some help keeping the tails

stag a1

So I don't want to keep the whole pelt every time because not every pelt is going to perfect as you guys know, so anyone else keep the tails? Anyone give me a good way to keep them and have them end up soft?

Easiest way is slit down about 4-5 inches worth of tail and use your knife and fingers to pull that portion of the tail off the bone. Then use a tail stripper (they sell them, but actually an old clothespin works fine) and strip off the rest of the tail off the bone. then you can cut it off the body. It is easier to do this while the tail is still attached to the body. Good luck!

this is the way i do it. also, after u have had it salted a while, go ahead and wash out the remaining salt. this might make it a little damp again, but it will defiantly dry and become soft and easy to move around.

After watching the youtube video that Jared suggested in the above post I would say that he's really working a lot harder than you need to handle a tail. The way I do it (above) will take less than 1 minute.

I sure hope you guys that live in areas that have a decent coyote know that in todays fur market you well could be throwing $25 to $100 dollars away by not pelting and marketing those coyote skins.

Last edited:
Back