Kansas Bruiser Down!

NYyotekiller

I just wanted to share my buck that I got in Kansas on November 13th. I hunted from the 8th to the 14th, and first saw him on the first morning but I unfortunately hit a limb and shot over his back. I originally thought that I had completely missed him because I found no blood or hair, but I saw him again on the 11th and got this video of him.

https://vimeo.com/145822582

You can see the stripe on his back where I had grazed him.

Then I saw him again on the 13th and got lucky enough to get a good shot at him. After a long day of tracking and waiting I finally got him.

He green scored 139 6/8" and weighed in at 279 lbs.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Beauteous!"Long day of tracking"?Sounds like expandables.LOL Congrats!

No expandables for me, G5 Montecs are what I use.

I shot him at 8:00 am on the 13th but didn't recover him until 8:00pm. After watching him lay down 40 yards from me after the shot, he stood back up and slowly walked off with his head down and out of my sight. Then, without going and looking for blood, or my arrow I left and went back to the truck.

After giving him four hours, I came back at 1:30pm to see if I could find him. I went and found my arrow and found where he layed down and saw that he was bleeding real bad. The blood trail led me probably 40 yards farther to what looked like him passed in a dry creek bed. As soon as I stepped down into the creek he hopped up and run up the creek bank. He stood there for a few seconds and headed north but I could see he was favoring his front shoulders pretty good. After seeing him run off we decided to let him be for a few more hours.

Then we came back at 4:00pm and walked a mile worth of creek but found no sign of blood or him. We were about ready to head back and get the lights to look for blood but decided to check out in the cut milo and found him lying there not 50 yards from the dirt road. After checking him over and looking to see if he was blinking we celebrated but hadn't walked up to him yet. Just to be safe I drew my Hoyt back as I walked towards him. Wouldn't you know it, that sum gun hops up and takes off back to the south. So I put about a foot lead on him and squeeze. The shot went through the back of the lungs and he slowed right down and stops to lye down. He only went probably 30 yards from the shot and layed down and passed.

It was a VERY long day of hope followed by anxiety. I felt terrible for him suffering the way he did all day, but was relieved when I finally got my hands on him.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Congrats thats a awesome 8. Where did your first shot hit?

The first shot went through his left shoulder and exited out his neck as he was quartering away from me. You can see the exit hole in the pictures.

Originally Posted By: Cranesville HunterGreat buck, glad to hear you didn't give up on him. Congratulations.

X-2----------SVB

Back