Howling

dogdestroyer1

I have been predator hunting heavily for 10+ years. I see videos and hear of guys going out and letting out a couple howls before they start the distress sounds. The more I think about it the more I question its effectiveness, I am a successful coyote hunter and will put 2-4 in the truck per day average(some better some much worse) lol. If I start letting out a few howls before will I put more coyotes in the truck on average? does any guys actually have an example or knowledge of this that it actually works?

A lot of really good coyote hunters start most stands with a couple of non threatening howls. IMO, it will not hurt you. If you are consistently putting that many coyotes in the truck, you might want to just stick to what you are doing though.

I am not very good with vocals. For the majority of my coyote hunting life, I mostly just have not used them. It's my weak suit, for sure. But I decided about a year ago that I was going to work harder on learning to use them effectively. I travelled some long distances to hunt with some of the guys I consider the best, most experienced coyote men around to learn more about vocalizations from them and I've been using a lot of vocals this year in various ways.

All that to simply establish that I'm not qualified to answer your questions! It all beats the heck out of me too.

But, your last sentence "does any guys actually have an example or knowledge of this that it actually works?". Not counting any of the denning stuff I saw and did this summer, talking only about fur season, I actually do have a couple of recent examples, where howling seems to have worked.

First example was about five weeks ago. Cold rolling some new country. My partner and I stayed up way past bedtime driving around locating, that is, stop and howl and listen for an answer, until we had located enough coyotes exact locations to come back and have a full morning of stands to hunt. Made five stands the next morning, every one of them in a spot I knew coyotes were there, killed coyotes on every stand. Eight coyotes, on five stands, before noon, to be exact.

201509Coyote%20Hunt-10W.jpg

I'm sure we'd have done just fine without the locating. But I also feel confident that knowing where the coyotes were ahead of time didn't hurt!

Two more examples from my most recent hunt, last week.

First example, had a coyote very late in the stand hung up about 500 yards out. Had been watching this coyote about ten minutes, while it circled way out there. Finally it stopped on a ridge about 500 yards out, just standing there. I tried a few different sounds trying to get it to break loose. But after a minute or two, it simply turned and started walking away. I tried a Lone Howl on the Foxpro. The coyote immediately stopped walking away and turned around to face me again. Then I tried a cottontail sound, and the coyote finally broke loose and came trotting in to get dead. From what I was able to actually see on this stand, I think it was the howl that finally got this coyote really interested and commit.

It was the last of these four coyotes all killed on the same stand. It was the biggest one, the one with the huge looking tail, an adult male.

20151115_Hunt-7W.jpg

Another example from the same hunt. Had a coyote coming in to the jackrabbit from a long way out. At about 250 yards, it came to a ditch bank where it had to cross a creek. Well, while approaching the bank, a jackrabbit jumps out and the coyote took off after it down into the creek ditch and ten minutes later I hadn't seen the coyote again. I figured it was still down along the creek and could hear my distress sounds but wasn't interested as it had plenty of rabbit action right where it was at. So I thought, maybe if I howl, that coyote will pop back up on the bank for a look and I can take the 250 yard shot? So, I used the Lone Howl sound again. And sure enough, that coyote immediately popped up on the far ditch bank to look! I dropped it right there. Another adult male.

IMG_5485.JPG

That last deal, where I knew there was a coyote around and all I wanted was for it to show it's face and give me a shot, I have used that Lone Howl a number of times this year that it has worked like that. And I have also just thrown it out there towards the end of a stand, not knowing if a coyote was close or not, and had them step out from behind a sage brush or whatever to take a peek. These coyotes weren't going to come any closer, but a lot of them just by showing themselves gave me all I needed to put them down and carry them back to the truck.

Like I said, I don't actually have any answers. I don't know how to use howling worth a crap. But, I've been making a dedicated effort to getting better and learning how to use them and have been having at least some success. This year, I've used howls on almost every morning stand - the first three or four stands of the day. And have killed coyotes on most of those stands. Of course, I have always killed coyotes on most of my morning stands, so that doesn't prove a thing. Other than, the howling must not hurt? Bottom line though, I do believe I've increased my take this winter by judicious use of howling.

Hopefully, someone that actually knows something about howling will chime in!

- DAA

Dave, great post and as usual, great pictures. IMO, a lot of guys trying to learn about howling get confused if coyotes don't answer them when they howl. My experience tells me that doesn't mean a thing. I have had way more coyotes come in on the sneak to see who has invaded their territory. Especially during the breeding season, which is about to get started around here, I always start a stand with a non threatening howl. I'm not worried if it sounds like a female or a male; both sexes respond during the breeding season. Starting about the middle of December, I use the Yote Coyote decoy a lot and mix in some of the female breeding vocals. Another thought is if you set up about 50 to 60 yards from your ecaller, and start your stand with a howl or two on your howler, followed up maybe 20 to 30 seconds later with a howl from your ecaller, that presents a realistic scenario, since they do communicate a bunch with howls.

Other guys have a different approach; this is what works for me.

I agree great post, Dave. I am really new to coyote hunting (have yet to get my first kill) but like you, I keep trying. Just wanted to let you know I learned a lot from your post. Although I am in MN I believe that your method would work here and intend to give it a try. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

My thoughts are , if a coyote hears a howl, he becomes a little more at ease, i think they feel it's a little safer knowing there's another coyote there.
Early season I tend to use more rabbit distress. Mid season, start using coyote vocals. In my area pairing up is already happening. Which I feel is time to start more vocalization.
Just my opinions..

Each guy picks a different call and perceives a different way to portray himself to the predator with it.
You may call from a spot with success and another guy left that area 2 hrs before you with a dry stand.
I have my own lame calling style and have started every stand with a howl. I have shown good success over the years with some very fast or very close encounters.
I firmly believe setting up correctly makes up for many shortcomings, even my weak calling. I have always said my calls sound so poor that the coyotes must feel sorry for me. They will sacrifice one just to shut me up

In my limited experience, compared to most here, I've had it work both ways. Just yesterday I'm pretty sure my pup howls spooked 3 coyotes away. Impossible to say if they would have come in if I had just started distress sounds or not. All I know is they bugged out and I saw them go.

I've also had them come in to howls, and respond to howls and come in to distress.

I've had them stand on a hillside just out of range and respond to my howling with barks and howls.

And who knows how many I didn't see that bugged out with the opening howl. I think it all depends on the coyote. Dominate ones will probably want to see who is invading, and smaller ones that maybe are already invading will be intimidated. I think around here with the lower numbers the last couple years because of mange that there will be a high percentage of younger coyotes for a while.

That's mostly speculation, so take it for what it's worth. But after the incident yesterday, and talking with more experienced callers afterwards, I will mostly be saving the howling for mating season.

Awesome feed back from everyone! great tips and advice! to bad we will never be able to figure these suckers out entirely! guess that's what makes it such a thrill!!!!

I use howls on all but about a dozen stands through the season. From mid Dec. I often use only coyote vocals.

Obviously I think they work and have certainly had some great laughs going back and forth talking trash to a male who is on the prod and looking for love in all the wrong places.

On one outing we called one coyote in a day and a half. UP the game on calling by using a few different howlers and for the next 19 stands over two days we had coyotes come to the call.

We only hunt daylight here,and I've never tried going out in the evening/night to locate, but after reading DAA's post. I'll try it in the next few days.

I am a caller, it's just me, has been since I started duck and goose hunting at about age 9. I've done duck and goose calling contests, I call a lot when hunting, it's why I'm out.

This goes the same for when I hunted deer, and while I only hunted them for a couple years, I called in a dang good number of deer. Now that's call & rattle as I consider them one in the same.

I howl for coyotes on nearly all my duck hunts, not to call them in, just to locate and play with them as this is early AM before shooting hours.

I use diaphragms, the elk inc latex, and open reed howlers. I use lone howls, challenge howls, submissive howls, whimper howls, and I'll attempt to do solo serenades by "throwing" different pitched howls with whatever call I'm using. These serenade type scenarios actually work well for locating and have also called me in several dogs.

I'm not afraid to get aggressive and nasty, nor afraid to be timid and submissive.

It's a language as well as a musical instrument, we ARE talking to animals, great callers are great because they can read the animal and read the situation, not necessarily because they've got ten world titles and sound the best on the call.

Now if you're not willing to put that attention into it, to notice that slight head tilt, that nose flick, that tail position, the slight change in any of his body language when you hit that next lip squeak or whimper or howl or honk or snort wheeze, than all you've got is hope. If a coyote shows up, a goose finishes, or a deer comes jogging in, it's not quite luck, preparation/location aren't to be overlooked but the calling aspect, luck is about the best word I can think of.

Learn your call, pay attention to your prey, close attention, get the read, and yea howls can make a he!! of a difference, any call will at that point because you're the weapon, it's the tool. Now you don't rely on hope, you rely on skill.

So, all that to say this, it's up to you how howls will work

There are a lot of people that over think coyote calling, that's me included sometimes. Nobody knows what a certain coyote wants hear on a certain day, during a certain time of the day. Keep it simple, try different sounds, and figure out what works best in your area.

I don't do much howling but I have had success with it, and usually this is first and last light. In these situations, I do a couple lone howls or interrogation howls, wait a few minutes and go into some type of distress. Another tactic I had work is doing some challenge howls, then go straight into a pup distress. I have called in some big males, in the middle of the day using that technique. And this was in October and November.

For my area. I have NEVER called in a coyote using a distress sound with the exception of pup in distress. Challenge howls and screams bring them running in full speed.

I use howls and vocals 95% of the time, year round. I don't know what qualifies as successful but I feel like they do quite well for me. Very seldom do I use any other sounds.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARIn my limited experience, compared to most here, I've had it work both ways. Just yesterday I'm pretty sure my pup howls spooked 3 coyotes away. Impossible to say if they would have come in if I had just started distress sounds or not. All I know is they bugged out and I saw them go.

I've also had them come in to howls, and respond to howls and come in to distress.

I've had them stand on a hillside just out of range and respond to my howling with barks and

And who knows how many I didn't see that bugged out with the opening howl. I think it all depends on the coyote. Dominate ones will probably want to see who is invading, and smaller ones that maybe are already invading will be intimidated. I think around here with the lower numbers the last couple years because of mange that there will be a high percentage of younger coyotes for a while.

That's mostly speculation, so take it for what it's worth. But after the incident yesterday, and talking with more experienced callers afterwards, I will mostly be saving the howling for mating season.

Knowing your audience is very important in choosing your sound and scenario selection.

Last edited:
I believe if used correctly vocals are a very strong tool. Seasonal tendencies dictate how, when and which ones I use. When I do start a stand with distress, if nothing has responded within a few series I don't hesitate to use vocals.Yes, I have had coyotes leave from using the wrong vocals but that was from not knowing my audience, as SHAMPTON stated. It was also a good education for me. In a situation where I don't know my audience now I start unagressive until they demand otherwise. As a last ditch effort when they won't come in I've been heard to say we're going to pi$$ 'em off or run 'em off and both have happened.

I am new to coyote hunting but it helped me get my first this year. I have been paying close attention to [beeep] Gamecalls videos on youtube and I think the majority of coyotes they call in (at least from their videos) are from coyotes howls/vocals. I use them every stand with just a few lone howls and wait about 3-5 minutes before starting a distress.

Back