Best Scan light Recommend....What do you use....?

Rusty Black

Im looking for the best value scanning light...some with good burn time and charger....what are you guys useing,I was thinking maybe a model from nighteyes...I have a kill light....but I want a scan that,I can relie on.

Last edited:
I've looked real hard at the night eyes dual beam headlamp in red and white but I a friend of mine has a new wicked scan pro and for the money I was real impressed. Having a focus able beam in my opinion is a must. I've ran headlamps over a hand held scan light because I just don't have the coordination to run a scan light, hold my rifle, and run the caller remote.

I have both the Night Eyes dual beam light and the older style Wicked W13, which appears to be similar to the new scan pro.
They are both good headlamps, but different. The Night Eyes has high/low and is not adjustable. The red light is pretty bright, it has a wide flood and I can see eyes maybe 150 yds on a dark night. I am not young, so you might be able to see farther than that. The white light is fantastic. It is a wide beam and very bright. I use the white to collect gear, walk out, recovery, load the UTV, etc. I like the small size of the light compared to the Wicked.

The Wicked has high/med/low and has an adjustable beam. Dialed in tight, on high, it will light up eyes twice as far as the Night Eyes. It is a little large but you will get used to that.
My buddy wears the Wicked. Between the two we have the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose one over the other, that would be tough and I would be happy with either one but I most often use the Night Eyes because of the smaller size and especially the dual beam. Joe (I think that is the owners name) is a great guy to deal with. I have not corresponded with anyone at Wicked so I can't say anything about those guys.

Personally of the rechargable headlamps on the market the new Wicked Scanpro headlamp is the best bang for the buck by far at only $89.95 delivered from me.
This has became the go to headlamp for me and my staff since it has been introduced in July.
http://shop.boondock-outdoors.com/Wicked-Hunting-Lights-ScanPro-Headlamp-kits-ScanPro.htm
This kit comes with the light 2 batteries and even an external duel bank battery charger for that price. You can also upgrade to the Ultimate kit with RED, Green and White leds included and it is still much less money than most other companies charge for just one color headlamp.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have jeremiah@boondockoutdoors.com

I second the scan pro!! I just picked one up. I used the noxx head lamp for the last year. The new wicked scan pro is a much, much better light. It uses the 18650 batteries and comes with the charger and 2 batteries. This eliminates the constant changing of AA batteries with the noxx, throughout a night. The scan pro has three brightness setting, focusable and has a short rubber halo shield. It is brighter too. The noxx is a fine light for the money, but I would recommend the scan pro over anything.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntr The Night Eyes has high/low and is not adjustable. The red light is pretty bright, it has a wide flood and I can see eyes maybe 150 yds on a dark night. I am not young, so you might be able to see farther than that. The white light is fantastic. It is a wide beam and very bright. I use the white to collect gear, walk out, recovery, load the UTV, etc. I like the small size of the light compared to the Wicked.

1trkyhntr,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I just want to clarify that the HL50-Q that you have has ten settings. The light is fully adjustable, just hold down the on/off button and you will see the light cycle through all the brightness modes. When you get to the brightness you like just let off the button and the light will lock in that brightness and remember it as your second mode.

If you should have any questions please do not hesitate to call.

Joe

Originally Posted By: Night EyesOriginally Posted By: 1trkyhntr The Night Eyes has high/low and is not adjustable. The red light is pretty bright, it has a wide flood and I can see eyes maybe 150 yds on a dark night. I am not young, so you might be able to see farther than that. The white light is fantastic. It is a wide beam and very bright. I use the white to collect gear, walk out, recovery, load the UTV, etc. I like the small size of the light compared to the Wicked.

1trkyhntr,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I just want to clarify that the HL50-Q that you have has ten settings. The light is fully adjustable, just hold down the on/off button and you will see the light cycle through all the brightness modes. When you get to the brightness you like just let off the button and the light will lock in that brightness and remember it as your second mode.

If you should have any questions please do not hesitate to call.

Joe

Joe,
when I said that the Night Eyes light was not adjustable, what I meant was that the beam cannot be zoomed from wide flood to a tight spot like the wicked. Sorry for the confusion.

Rusty, I use the Wicked Flashlights. Very nice. I don't like the headlamps for scanning like many others do. I tend to look around too much. Take a look at the pic from a couple nights ago. I can sit on my stool, scan by hand, when I see eyes I snap the light into its holder all the while keeping it pointed at the critter. Then it's just a matter of picking the gun off my lap and putting it on the rest. I'm alone most of the time so this works great. The Wicked Lights are Zoom Focus. Check out Boondocks!

I use the night eyes headlamp and love it. I usually leave my scanning power at 50% and can see eyes over 200 yards out. At 100% that increases by alot.

Think I'm going to try the scanpro....Joe I'll be giving you a call soon....thanks fellers...let you know,how it works for me....Rusty

Last edited:
I have used 3 different brands of lights and they all work well. The one thing I have found is that of the folks that advertise here on this site, none have ever given me any bad information or steered me wrong ( at least the ones I have dealt with ). The newer lights do have nice features that some of the older ones lacked.

When out tonight for a few hours...called in a nice red...only to be spook by a monster 8 Pointer comming across the field..and the wicked lights are pretty awsome...had the scan pro running for 4.5 hours straight and it didn't show any signs that it was running low.Their awsome lights!

Last edited:
Back