Challenge issued in a very old post

I would take that bet shooting from sticks until I was a$$ deep in brass.

Make it more like my real world coyote hunting and all bets would be off. That is, one shot, cold and on demand, with a huge variety of environmental variables, every day go to coyote rig, etc.

Originally Posted By: obaro Were precision rifle contests even in existence? Yeah, there were a few guys shooting and practicing over 500 yards, but nowhere near the numbers as there are now.

Oh yeah, long range competition is not new; been around for umpteen years.

Quote:Britain’s NRA was formed before the end of the year. Lord Spencer solved the problem of where matches would be held by inviting the NRA to use his front yard, Wimbledon Common. On July 2, 1860, the opening shot of the first match was fired by Queen Victoria herself, and the winner of the long-range competition would be awarded the Queen’s Prize.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/10/31/the-rigby-match-rifle-creedmoor-more/

I started shooting NRA competition in 1960 on an army AMU. That was back when money was available in the budget for such things and it was not unusual for 50% of the shooters registered for a state match to be military & have up to 250 competitors.

Took a "20 year leave of absence" upon separation as it was just too expensive to pursue w/young family. In '83 shot a state match and got hooked all over again. The civilian matches (still NRA sanctioned) shot 200,300,600 yd. national match course and some ranges offered the 800,900,1000 yard matches. The NM rules call for iron sights, no artificial rest, much the same as the army qualification course (before trainfire) except army only shot to 500 yds. Various rules applied to the long range matches; some were irons only, others were any-any sights (scopes allowed), but all prohibited artificial rests.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksGood shooting hm. We were shooting iron sights that far long before the sniper craze caught on.
I used to practice with a 15meter air rifle target set at 50. A redfeild Palma rear sight and globe front with various inserts. I used a circle most of the time.
F class came about by the Palma guys getting older and using glass to stay shooting. We owe those guys for alot of new tech gadgets.

Yeah, Sandy, I had an engineer friend that took a photo of the 200 yd. (SR_1??) target and reduced it proportionally to shoot at 10 meters (lenth of my garage) and practiced a lot with an RWS rifle w/front and rear aperatures. I then had a bunch printed. Man that low velocity stuff sure teaches you the value of follow through, don't it?
lol.gif

In the early 80's we (a bunch of us "getting older" guys) successfully petitioned several of the members of the rules committee that were shooting a state match to change the rules to allow one lens be attached to iron sights(either front or rear, shooter's choice). Our argument was that lots of old codgers could hold their own if they could just see the sights. Since most of the rules committee were "of an age" also, they agreed and that kept a lot of us shooting for many more years.

Fond memories.

Regards,
hm

Used to shoot for Xs at 100 with a 22lr BSA martini isu. Rws match ammo with an 80x spotting scope it coul look like it was hit with a shotgun. I reality they would be just over quarter size. That is the only rifle that I regret selling. Before my eyes went out, I would have put on my jacket and gave it a go with a 40x 308 sitting with a loop sling.

Lol I wish I had 500 flat yards around me too say I would give it a try, I would prob stink but cant get better if you dont try right!

Never had a BSA but always wanted one. Nice rifles. I had a SS Mod 52 prone rifle that weighed 16# w/2" Unertl 20x scope and a 40Xr for outdoor smallbore shooting. Both shot much better than I could.

Was your 40X a single shot or magazine rifle, Sandy?

Regards,
hm

I gotta agree,10 years ago to the present has been crazy with optics,bullets,and almost everything in between.However still got to put the crosshairs on the plate and hit it! sounds like a good bet with all your buddies

Magazine with the rail in the bottom for the hand stp. Ugly with absolutely 0 character. Looked like the stock was made out of a 2x6. It was a course rifle with the 24 inch barrel 10.5 pounds if my memory serves. I had blocks on the BSA and used a 12x unertl for bench shooting. We would set 22 hulls up on the target frame at 50 yards and shoot them off. That martini had a 29 inch barrel and was 1 inch at the muzzle. It took lots of follow through to shoot well. My wife took lots of guys money at the bench with it. That was a good thing cause a Marine Corporal I could not affors to lose any.
The old fellow that got me hooked loved those old model 52s. He also sold me a rem 513 matchmaster that was made in 52. Good memories right here.

Shooting a 1.8" group at 100 yards (9" at 500 yards) is doable by many shooters/rifles...However,the key is the shooter's' ability to read the wind in doing so...With a 10 mph wind from a 90 degree angle, a .223 55gr, FMJ BT round at 3300 fps has a side drift of approximately 38 inches (19 .inches with a 5 mph) and that's not counting for the instability of the shooter using a reasonably light rifle from a set of sticks in a field position...

I would be inclined to put my money on the "Miss" side of the equations .....
tt2.gif

Quote:Magazine with the rail in the bottom for the hand stp. Ugly with absolutely 0 character. Looked like the stock was made out of a 2x6. It was a course rifle with the 24 inch barrel 10.5 pounds if my memory serves. I had blocks on the BSA and used a 12x unertl for bench shooting. We would set 22 hulls up on the target frame at 50 yards and shoot them off.

That was a 40XC, Sandy, I had one for a while....great offhand rifle because of that ugly deep belly stock. But after a short "affair", ended up dancing with the "girl what brung me", the old Mod. 70's. 22 shells @ 50 are fun. I tried several times to hit a fly on the target @ 50 from prone; think I winged one once but never did get the X on one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleShooting a 1.8" group at 100 yards (9" at 500 yards) is doable by many shooters/rifles...However,the key is the shooter's' ability to read the wind in doing so...With a 10 mph wind from a 90 degree angle, a .223 55gr, FMJ BT round at 3300 fps has a side drift of approximately 38 inches (19 .inches with a 5 mph) and that's not counting for the instability of the shooter using a reasonably light rifle from a set of sticks in a field position...

I would be inclined to put my money on the "Miss" side of the equations .....
tt2.gif

You're right OT. You gotta be a good wind doper to shoot the mouse guns out there. Wind doping not my strong point so I stuck with the heavier '06.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Regards,
hm

Sounds like some people are trying to change the parameters. No shooting sticks, no bull barrels, no rests. You're shooting a light rifle from a standard position at a 9 inch target from 500 yards.

I was lucky enough to have a really good mentor in those days. A former marine rifle team member and a distiguished shooter. They had a love affair with all things target related. I also got to spend a lot of time with the high standard autos. As a bonus they knew that I couldn't afford the amount of ammo that I was shooting up so I worked as an apprentice in the gun shop.

I also vividly remember spending 275 dollars plus shipping for that Redfield Palma rear sight way back in 1990. That was over 1/3 of my monthly pay.

I would think that this challenge can be done with an m16. Natural point of aim, sight picture, sight alignment, close your eyes and breathe, open eyes, sight picture sight alignment, adjust position if needed, steady flag, squeeze, adjust dope, take money from there.
Sound good to you HM.

If we are doing this under my personal field conditions, like prone with a bipod..... I'd quit my day job. I think most good predator hunters could make a living doing that at 2:1 odds.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksI also vividly remember spending 275 dollars plus shipping for that Redfield Palma rear sight way back in 1990. That was over 1/3 of my monthly pay.

I never shot the Palma sights. Had two Redfield Internationals. Going rate for these was neighborhood of $150 or so.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksI would think that this challenge can be done with an m16. Natural point of aim, sight picture, sight alignment, close your eyes and breathe, open eyes, sight picture sight alignment, adjust position if needed, steady flag, squeeze, adjust dope, take money from there.
Sound good to you HM.

Probably.\, but I never shot a mouse gun long range comp. for two reasons. My wind doping is just not good enough IMO and they were just refining the 16's (accuracy was not yet reliable enough when I had to switch to aperture front sights due to vision problems).

The AR platforms were just coming of age as target rifles about the time I had to quit competing altogether.

Regards,
hm

Next to last match I shot w/AMU was at Camp Lejeune, NC, 4 July 1962 shooting NM M1 Garand. Match had to be postponed 2-3 days due to slow moving hurricane that laid offshore.

Regards,
hm

Back