Time For A New AR

Not wanting to get in the middle of this but I just bought my first AR a dpms prairie panther 20" 8 twist and am very happy with it as I am getting some 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 110 yds with 55 gr sgk. I only have about 80 rounds thru it though. So did I make a mistake or is this a good choice for predator hunting.

I'll try and find the pictures we took and post them up here. It was a couple of years ago and will take some searching. The front pin boss elongated and it pulled away slightly from the upper and started mis-feeding.

The primary item that typically breaks first is the bolt or something around the bolt. Get a Daniel Defense, BCM or Colt bolt and improve your odds of never having a breakage during normal use or even hard use. Not that something else can go wrong but your odds get better with a good quality bolt and bolt carrier. Use the spare bolt group for the next build. And, there will be a next build.
kwg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kwg020The primary item that typically breaks first is the bolt or something around the bolt. Get a Daniel Defense, BCM or Colt bolt and improve your odds of never having a breakage during normal use or even hard use. Not that something else can go wrong but your odds get better with a good quality bolt and bolt carrier. Use the spare bolt group for the next build. And, there will be a next build.
kwg Since you mention the bolt and small parts it not a bad idea to keep a spare extractor and a couple of bolt cam pins on hand. I replace the cam pins every Spring.

Originally Posted By: RabonOriginally Posted By: kwg020The primary item that typically breaks first is the bolt or something around the bolt. Get a Daniel Defense, BCM or Colt bolt and improve your odds of never having a breakage during normal use or even hard use. Not that something else can go wrong but your odds get better with a good quality bolt and bolt carrier. Use the spare bolt group for the next build. And, there will be a next build.
kwg Since you mention the bolt and small parts it not a bad idea to keep a spare extractor and a couple of bolt cam pins on hand. I replace the cam pins every Spring.

I agree Rabon. If dependability is important and if you think you are going to be attending a class that requires a lot of shooting and the gun getting hot, get the best bolt you can afford with some critical spare parts. Be prepared for a worst case scenario.
kwg

Originally Posted By: velvetantOriginally Posted By: MotoHunterOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: velvetantRock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I agree. that's about the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site. Just sayin. nuff said!
Go take some carbine classes and watch what brands fail first then come back and tell me how stupid it was.
i have taken those carbine classes most failures are ammo related most use handloads or super cheap commercial loads and reloads....i think you where right to be laughed at...

Last edited:
If you want something as close to what the army carries, look at the Colt. I think the 6920 socom.
A few of my buddies in the Army got this because it's what they know.

If money is no object, I'd just pick up a Larue Tactical, or a DD MK12, put an aim point on it, and you should be ready for anything out to 200 yards, give or take.

However, if it's strictly for a SHTF situation, I would think a Mossberg 500 would be the way to go.. Just my thoughts.

I have a few ARs around. In the SHTF category I'd go with a 16" 'M4' profile barrel, 18" mid weight at the most. For a low cost stock the MagPul CTR adjustable fits the bill.

One of my recent ARs I put some Troy Industries fixed sights on the rail, instead of scoping it. This has been just fine up to midlin ranges.

I really don't care for a fixed, traditional, front sight. I like a rail, and then put whatever you want for sights, or scope.

Now is a great time to buy, add some magazines and accessories too.

Back