Micks 3 dog night !

Pa. Mick

Micks 3 dog night !
11/21/15
female 4am
male 4:10 am
male 7:35 am

Finally a break in the weather ! I head out late evening. I enjoy my hunts more when they are undisturbed. When people are asleep and the predators own the night. My first set ends with eyes from the hedge row that i think was a fox but surprises can come from a set of eyes so i give it a pass especially being right behind the owners home, don't want to kill their cat. I have a good feeling about tonight, it's so quiet you can hear a mouse fart from a hundred yards away. You know what i mean.

Second set was at an old coyote haunt. It proved to be unchanged as they were to be heard but not seen. These coyotes have been getting screwed with way to much as i have gotten one chance per season to get a shot and for many different reasons i haven't taken one yet. Maybe next time !

My next set finds me where it all began ! I think i was about 21 when i called in and killed my first gray fox. At the 30 minute mark i shut the Fusion off, stood up and was collecting my gear and as i did there were eyes. Maybe a hundred yards away that veered off into the woods. Looking back i should of went right to the old lip squeak instead of fiddling with the controller. Eyes at 2 of 3 sets so far.

Hiking back to the woods at this location i remember the lady from the new house yelling the last time i called here. So i circle the square to give us both more space. It has been quite some time since i have been here. What a foxy looking spot. A thick tangle of woods in front of me, standing corn to my left, the old yeller to my right. As i'm sitting in this picked bean field i'm on the edge of a bowl that drops in front of me giving me a good backstop for my shooting. At the 16 minute mark she comes charging acrossed the field from my right. As fast as she stops she starts again ! Every time the crosshairs are on her shes moving again ! She circles around that screaming baby gray fox, now on my left, almost to the corn. So i bark, then i send it ! The 204 drops her at 58 paces. Ten minutes later the male pops out of the standing corn coming in to Platinum gray. He runs right to the downed female and retreats to where he came from. I bark & send it ! A double, awesome ! About 78 paces. Ten minutes later here comes another from my right ! Retreating already, maybe he heard me move ! Old yellers house is in the background. I want to shoot so bad, i give him a pass.

I am really pumped ! I rush to where i think i might bring in a red. Walking in, it starts to rain. What the [beeep], zero chance of rain ! Oh no the wind is wrong, rush to the car and to the next spot. Eyes make me walking in and he's downwind. Gotta try anyhow the sky is getting lighter. Picked cornstalks standing to my left, woods and picked bean field in front of me. Fifteen minutes in there's eyes sneaking up behind the cornstalks. Platinum gray is doing its magic. I zoom in on them, it's a fox. I fire one right between the lookers ! Yahoo and this makes 3 ! After another five minutes i go to collect him. NOTHING , it was a miss. I have been plagued with poor shots. Thought about the shot and looked some more. Can't believe he is not laying here. Collect my wits and rush to my next spot.

Calling in the woodlot. So neat to see him coming to the call in the daylight. Again platinum gray at about 15 minutes. Watching him in the scope he stops about 80 yards out. I let him come closer, he jumps off the gas line into the woods.......he is gone. Why did i not shoot him already ? Duh ! Volume up and down, sounds switching back and forth ! There he is where he left the opening, big fox. I bark and send it ! The 204 drops him ! OMG what a hunt it's been ! I passed on a day of bear hunting due to the poor weather we have been getting and chose to hunt canines instead. Awesome hunt, 7 sets of eyes, passed on 1, shot 4 times and killed 3 !

I had dreamt of a 3-dog-night.....dreams can come true !
On X hunt ( mapping )
5C8F5B8F-B9B9-45DC-90BC-181488810004-424-0000013D33003699_zpssdihfqlh.jpg

C2EDBA37-22E4-44A3-9A8E-063A4CCB9EF9-552-000001684BFF4A82_zpst6fqcroo.jpg

Last edited:
Hornady 40gr. V-max factory loads. Awesome for being fur friendly on coyote ! Devastating on fox, NOT fur friendly !

I also have a 17 Hornet shooting Hornady 20 gr. V-max factory loads. NOT fur friendly either.

Back