6.8 or ????? build

Bottomyotes

Ok guys, I've been doing a lot of research lately and finally decided to put an AR together.

I think I want to use a 6.8, but I am open for suggestions.

Basically what I am asking is tell me what you would build.
using what parts? I want this to be a middle of the road build, as far as price goes.

I know I would like to keep it in a 16" barrel, fixed buttstock, and somewhat lightweight.

AGAIN I am open to suggestions and this will be a middle of the road build, give me a suggestion on good barrel with good price, good hunting trigger with good price, etc, etc

This will be mostly a Midwest deer hunting rifle, may go south and shoot some hogs, coyotes every now and then.....

So after wanting a 6.8 for a while, I built one. At first I was disillusioned as it would short stroke on every single type of ammo. Brought it to a competent 'smith and he replaced the gas block, magazine, buffer to an H2 and gas tube and I replaced the bolt. He tested it with SSA ammo (don't remember which one) and it worked fine.

I brought it home, cleaned it, went out to the range and it was short stroking again. Turns out on a whim I checked the length of the buffer spring and boy oh boy, guess what was too long??? The counter person that grabbed the assembly grabbed the wrong one. No big deal, I only went through about 60 rounds chasing my tail. The 'smith got it to cycle becuase he was using combat rounds (I have no idea what that means, but I watched him burn 15 rounds without a single failure before the spring swap).

So, after having it running smoothly with any type of ammo now, I've been trying to develop loads. Accuracy with factory ammo is about 1" which is good enough for the distances I'd shoot a coyote but a little short on deer ranges.

My opinion, and therefore advice, is that unless you have a specific need for a 6.8, (I didn't - just the neat-o and cool factor of the round) build yourself a super nice .223 Wylde chambered AR with all the bells and whistles.

I have a couple of 6.8's and love them for deer hunting with. I have not had one bit of trouble with either of them and they were both assembled by myself. Welcome to the madness of the AR's. You just can not have one caliber.

Last edited:
I'm kinda of the same thought as Heretic. I didn't really build mine. I got a PSA CHF 18" upper and put on a Rock River FF tube. I'm new at reloading so did a lot of experimenting w/ Hornady SST, Barnes 110 TTSX and 110 TSX. The TTSX turned in some respectable groups. The SST's were about 1.5" groups. The problem for me is that the rifle falls between my .243 and .270 bolt guns, which are lighter and more comfortable to carry. All in all, I think I would rather carry my .270 bolt gun. I may try to swap for a .223 Wylde. However, the cool factor can't be ignored and it gets attention at the local range.

I love mine. Originally it was a rra, but over the years has become a conglomeration of different parts. Hammers game with authority. 130 gr Berger hunting vld is a javelina anchor.

My 6.8 with an 18" barrel and leupold 3x9 only weights 7lbs 6oz and is accurate as he** I love mine but what can I say I like all of my AR's they are like potatoe chips you can't have just one.

I have an AR Performance 16" Scout profile barrel and it is very light and accurate. Bison Armory, Wilson Combat, White Oak, and other custom builders make good 6.8 barrels/uppers. I think a 6.8 would be perfect for what you're looking for. In an AR platform, it is a very versatile cartridge and I love to shoot mine.

Originally Posted By: obaro6.5 Grendel might be worth looking at as well.

^This, nothing a 6.8spc will do that a 6.5g can't. Much better performance at longer ranges.

...if your handloading

Here's a target that Ritch shot with one of his 6.8 AR builds. At 100 yards . Average for all groups was 0.434. All are five shots. 18" standard weight barrel.

This was one of the BHW tubes he sells. Quality all the way.

Greg

Originally Posted By: LARUEminati
^This, nothing a 6.8spc will do that a 6.5g can't. Much better performance at longer ranges.

...if your handloading

If not...factory 6.8 ammo is much more available. Also, Midwest deer hunting doesn't sound like long range to me. However, Bottomyotes can take our opinions into consideration and build what suits him.

Last edited:
+1 for the 6.8spc ll . Mine has a 22" bison heavy fluted,yhm upper,cmmg lower and a 4# jp trigger.Look out deer,`yotes,and hogs. Go for it..You wont regret it... Gary

I like my 6.8 very much, however, the 20" fluted bison armory barrel, bipods, magpul prs, glass, etc put it way up there on the scales. It's a dream to shoot, but I find myself taking my Rem 700 buckmaster edition 270 deer hunting. It with glass comes in at somewhere like 1/2 to 1/3 the weight of the AR 6.8.

There's nothing wrong with a standard A2 stock for hunting. Maybe add a stock pack for cheek weld if so desired.

Barrels I can recommend bison armory, mine is great. Also look at black hole weaponry, ARP, or WOA. If you can keep the weight down, it'll be a nice hunting rig. Of course weight being an issue is relative to mobility. If you don't cover much ground on foot, it may not be a real factor.

My advise would be to put the most $ towards your barrel and trigger. Triggers,I like/use/recommend Geissele

Black Hole Weaponry 18" tube in 6.8spc. I run an adjustable gas block and an H2 buffer in my most recent 6.8. Hopefully I'll have a pic of my rig with a 15pt whitey in about a week or two to share...

The Grendel and 6x6.8 are worth a look too - if, and only if, you're a reloader.

This is a 18" White Oak Armament barrel on Aero Precision upper lower and hand guard.

[img:center]http://[/img]

[img:center]http://[/img]

Back