Bird distress sounds?

Lights

Is it possible to make bird distress sounds on a open reed call? Or is there closed reed voices for the closed reed calls? The yotes around hear get tired of hearing the bunny blues.

You can make bird distress with either open reed or closed reed calls. Might be a little easier for most newer hunters to use closed reed for this purpose. Just flutter your tongue and bring the air up from the diaphragm, kind of like saying "rrrrrrrr" and vary the sound by opening and closing your hand over the end of the call.

Open reeds yes...some are better than others you just have to find one that suits you. For me it would be a call that has a square air channel with a tapered reed with a square cut end on it. And honestly, you can't beat something like a Verminator Psycotweety...it has has a dual air channel and reed that makes a two tone sound...great for bird distress.

Enclosed reeds...find one that is high pitched and do what AL described aboved.

Diapragms are awsome as well.

Mark

Mark I have a syco tweety. I just gave it a try with gind of a rrrrr flicker of the tongue and it sounds awsome. Going to try it in the morning.

What kind of words/sounds do you say into the call for bird sounds guys?

Originally Posted By: possumalRuffles have ridges, rrrrrrrr. Put a lot of grrrrr into it from down deep.

That's funny possumal.

I sucked at spanish in HS & college because I can't roll my "R's" to save my life, but growling over a reed, THAT I could figure out. A deep throat growl as you blow will throw a lot of "trill" into the call. Over lower pitched reeds, it'll throw rasp. Over a split reed like the Syco Tweety, it'll shred the sound apart like nothing you've ever heard.

If I had to think of a word I was "saying" during a bird distress call, maybe "greeeet" or "greht". The "GR" at the front gets the reed shaking, then the eh or ee sound lets the reed roll the pitch, and the "T" at the end puts the sharp stop that bird sounds tend to have on the back end.

Last edited:
Back