Challenge issued in a very old post

jf1073

I was researching threads on hung up coyotes and came across this challenge issued in a thread from 2005. Curious what folks would say about it 10 years removed from its initial post.
Remember now, this isn't my challenge LOL.

Here's the bet. I'll place an 9" paper plate at a measured 500yds and give $20 for every shot out of five rounds a shooter can make from a field position (standing, kneeling, sitting) with a rifle weighing less than 10lbs if the shooter will give me $10 for every shot missed. Any takers?

You going to come to Missouri and set up the plate? Haha.
This sounds like something we'd do on the farm.
Problem is, my grandpa wins every challenge we have.
At 74, he still out shoots all of us with open sites, clays, etc.
I think I'll challenge my brothers on this, too. Not my grandpa.

I think you have a pretty good idea, Bob.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: jf1073I was researching threads on hung up coyotes and came across this challenge issued in a thread from 2005. Curious what folks would say about it 10 years removed from its initial post.

Here's the bet. I'll place an 9" paper plate at a measured 500yds and give $20 for every shot out of five rounds a shooter can make from a field position (standing, kneeling, sitting) with a rifle weighing less than 10lbs if the shooter will give me $10 for every shot missed. Any takers? Do I get to use the same equipment I have on every coyote stand I do? If so, I'll take that bet. ... and you better bring a wad of cash.

ahem..........I'd just like to point out that I stated above this is not my challenge but just an interesting one I read here.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: jf1073I was researching threads on hung up coyotes and came across this challenge issued in a thread from 2005. Curious what folks would say about it 10 years removed from its initial post.

Here's the bet. I'll place an 9" paper plate at a measured 500yds and give $20 for every shot out of five rounds a shooter can make from a field position (standing, kneeling, sitting) with a rifle weighing less than 10lbs if the shooter will give me $10 for every shot missed. Any takers? Do I get to use the same equipment I have on every coyote stand I do? If so, I'll take that bet. ... and you better bring a wad of cash.

If it's that tripod setup you use, you probably wouldn't miss until the bore was so fouled the groups opened up to 10"

That's a fun challenge. 2:1 odds for 5 shots. Spend $50 if you miss all five and make $100 if you hit all five, if I understand correctly. Two hits puts you up $10, and three hits puts you up $40.

My brother just hit a coyote at 529 yards today, off sticks. I'd enter him.

If the wind wasn't blowing, I'd play, too. I could put one in there and only lose $20. Might get lucky and get ahead with two or three hits.

Last edited:
I'd probably play those odds today w/scoped rifle, sitting in low chair w/sticks same as hunting coyotes. (Do need a few props @ 79 though.)
lol.gif

Now there was a time I'd have played that game w/iron sights if'n you'd let me shoot prone w/coat and sling. Heck I'd prolly even given ya a chance to get yer money back double or nothing, but alas, those days are long gone.
frown.gif

All it takes is a good shootin' Mod 70 30-06.

Regards,
hm

One thing to consider is the changes/advances in shooting in the last 10 years. I had never heard of dialing, had no clue about MOA or MILS, and nobody discussed SFP vs FFP. Not saying I am a whiz with any of it now, but I think I understand most of the concepts. Were precision rifle contests even in existence? Yeah, there were a few guys shooting and practicing over 500 yards, but nowhere near the numbers as there are now. Techniques and gear are far more accessible to Joe Shooter than they were 10 years ago. When the challenge was issued I think the challenger would probably come out ahead most times. Not so sure it would work out so well for him at present. Would be kind of fun to start a thread with a 500 yard paper plate target and 5 rounds for who ever wanted to try.

Edit to add hm1996 posted as was typing. Hats off to you hm1996, that is some shooting!

Last edited:
Good shooting hm. We were shooting iron sights that far long before the sniper craze caught on.
I used to practice with a 15meter air rifle target set at 50. A redfeild Palma rear sight and globe front with various inserts. I used a circle most of the time.
F class came about by the Palma guys getting older and using glass to stay shooting. We owe those guys for alot of new tech gadgets.

Originally Posted By: obaroOne thing to consider is the changes/advances in shooting in the last 10 years. I had never heard of dialing, had no clue about MOA or MILS, and nobody discussed SFP vs FFP. Not saying I am a whiz with any of it now, but I think I understand most of the concepts. Were precision rifle contests even in existence? Yeah, there were a few guys shooting and practicing over 500 yards, but nowhere near the numbers as there are now. Techniques and gear are far more accessible to Joe Shooter than they were 10 years ago. When the challenge was issued I think the challenger would probably come out ahead most times. Not so sure it would work out so well for him at present. Would be kind of fun to start a thread with a 500 yard paper plate target and 5 rounds for who ever wanted to try.

Edit to add hm1996 posted as was typing. Hats off to you hm1996, that is some shooting!

Those are good points, shooting has progressed by a lot in the last decade or two.

That would be a fun challenge you mentioned, if one could be sure only 5 rounds were fired.

Sub 2 moa at 500 yds sitting kneeling or standing? No mention of prone or sticks in the challenge. I would bet on the house all day on that one given the rules.

With sticks I would accept the challenge.

Originally Posted By: hm1996I'd probably play those odds today w/scoped rifle, sitting in low chair w/sticks same as hunting coyotes. (Do need a few props @ 79 though.)
lol.gif

Now there was a time I'd have played that game w/iron sights if'n you'd let me shoot prone w/coat and sling. Heck I'd prolly even given ya a chance to get yer money back double or nothing, but alas, those days are long gone.
frown.gif

All it takes is a good shootin' Mod 70 30-06.

Regards,
hm

That's some dang good shooting..

Back