Most coyotes called in on one stand?

YOTEr Toter

I had a recent stand with a friend of mine that produced the most coyotes I have ever been a part of calling into one stand. The stand began by first navigating some cattle that acted like a herd of free range buffalo. This was at night mind you. When we made it safely to our stand we began calling with some female howls from an electronic call with some diaphragm howls mixed in. Within a few minutes we had two separate groups responding that were within a few hundred yards. We continued with distress calls from the electronic call. One by one our scan light began to pick up sets of eyes emerging from the wood line. First one set, then two, then three, and then a fourth set of eyes emerged from the wood line at around 200 yards. As they came into the open field we were able to see bodies. As we began the decision making process of when to shoot, two of the coyotes began to fight each other in the middle of the field. I had never seen that happen before so I was more focused on what they were doing than taking a shot. After the altercation between the two coyotes in the field, another lone coyote around 200 yards further away began to communicate with the pack of four near us. They barked at each other several times before the pack of four made their way towards the lone fifth coyote. We never did take a shot at these five coyotes but the experience of seeing them communicate the way they did was worth the shot not taken. The next thing we had to worry about was making it safely back to the truck through the herd of buffalo so we could continue on to our next stand.

Target rich environment! Great experience man, I've called 5 yotes in on two different occasions in daylight and only got one. That many eyes make it hard to readjust for a shot without blowing it.

That sounds like a really cool experience. The most I have called in on one stand was 6. Unfortunately, I only managed to put one of them down.

Mexico-1980's

17 called in at night, 6 killed, they were coming in from 360*, only one guy on the gun
conditions were the leading edge of a low pressure front, light misty rain, barometric pressure dropping fast. The stand lasted for over an hour. One guy on the light, another on the gun.

Called in 13 at night on one other occasion, killed 7. The stand lasted for an hour, one guy out retrieving animals, two other guys still hunting, animals kept coming in. Leading edge of a low pressure front, barometric pressure dropping says barometer in the truck.

These stands in Mexico were coyotes and bobcats.

On another stand in Mexico, we picked up 7. Shot a coyote in a dirt road 300 yds away. Shot one at straight out in front of us. The looked back and there was a coyote licking the blood on the first one that was shot at 300, killed him. Then shot a couple more in various directions. Looked back, a bobcat was smelling the two dead coyotes at 300, shot the cat. Shot a couple more coyotes, then missed a fox at 35 feet right on top of us. We had lost track of where all the animals were, made the decision to call it quits. I have a picture somewhere of the two dead coyotes laying on top of each other with the cat right beside them, then the 7 laid out in a row. Gun I hunted with in Mexico was a Shilen barrel'd Parker Hale varmint with a leupold 3.5x10 A.O. shooting 60g Sierra's at 4000 fps.

S. Arizona

7 called in, 4 killed-Daytime only in Az!!!

Last edited:
5 and killed 1. I pulled the trigger on the lone manger from the North. Wish I had seen that my brother had a hard charging triple coming from the South. They scattered ducking and diving through yucca, so he didn't connect on any runners. As we were standing there talking over what we should have done, a fifth coyote popped out from behind a yucca at 400 and spotted us. Didn't get a shot on it.

A friend who has called for years and done well in contests told me of a stand he called in 13. He said they were coming from everywhere. Killed several, but I don't remember how many.

5 and 0 killed. Had a friend of mine's 16 year old on the shot gun and he missed every time. I was laughing too hard to even take shot. We still talk about it every time we go.

The day after rifle deer season last year we had 8 or 9 come in from all directions. Walked away with 0. Too many options and never really picked one in time lol.

This fall my brother and I had 11 come in from dierectly in front of us. He got one, I missed...then they scattered. One came back when the call changed to a screaming pup, he shot that one. We spotted one sitting down 450 yards away when we started to leave, so I sat back down and whacked it with my 22-250. Strangest hunting experience ever.

the most ive called in on one stand was at least three possibly more. it was my firsat year calling some private land I got permission to call. had an uneducated audience with empty bellies. I was glassing the bottom of a canyon and as I scanned I caught movement between a couple of large sage brushes. I focused and saw one, two the third one went passed the clearing and the binos went down and the gun came up. they got with in 40 yards and I dropped the hammer on the lead one. he dropped as the others scattered. I cycled the bolt watching one head straight across from me up the canyon just as I was about to take aim the first one I shot gets up does a 360 and starts spinning. I took another shot to anchor it (even though it wasn't going far) and lost the other 2. it was only the second time I had successfully called coyotes. slightly overwhelming was an understatement.

I had 5 come flying in last night from every direction, we got only 2 of them BUT should of had at least 3 total. It was like a race to the call then frenzy as we shot.

I am really jealous of some of you guys! Most in one stand for me is only four, one killed. I was hunting with a shotgun, and only one came into the range with the other three holding up at about 70 yards.

Brian

Back