Garmin GPS and handheld radio's-will it damage my Astro 320 ?

Slug Gun

I am thinking about buying a Garmin Astro 320 and have been reading all I can about using a GPS. I planned to mount a VHF antenna on my truck to get some extra range when searching for lost dogs. I noticed that one of the hunting supply websites that sold external mag mount antennas had a caution about not using any high powered radio's near the Garmin as it could damage it. We use handheld VHF radio's to communicate and I have mine set for a 5-watt output. I wouldn't consider this as "high powered". The caution suggested not mounting the antennas within one meter of each other.
Wanting the get correct information on this....I called Garmin and talked with one of there tech people who also talked with one of there senior tech's and yes, they said that even using a 5-watt handheld VHF radio even with it's factory antenna can damage the Garmin even using just it's factory mounted antenna (not even using the truck mounted larger radio antenna with gain) that would not be covered by the warrenty.
I know around here most of the hunter's that have Garmin's also use handheld VHF radio's to communicate and I haven't heard of any problems but I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had a problem or heard about this happening. I can live with just using both factory unit mounted "rubber duck" antennas and forgetting about any extra range but I can't understand how the Garmin can be that fragile. I can understand that it may effect the Garmin's tracking ability but permanent damage is hard to believe by just using a 5-watt handheld radio. What happens to them if you drive past an AM radio station tower putting out 500,000 watts....there would be fried Garmin's all over the world.
Anyone on this forum ever hear or experience this problem ? I read the Astro 320 owner's manual and there is nothing in it about using VHF communication radio's close to there GPS unit.

I run Astro 320 and if your dogs range any at all you will need the long range antenna. We have used small hand radios and not had any problems.

Last edited:
I have heard of it but never had a problem. I run a 320 and alpha near a 5 watt handheld. I also use a 75 watt ham radio in the truck with a hood mount antenna and a roof mount long range for the garmins. I know at least 30 people doing the same thing. I think the problem was with the early 220 and 320 units. Pretty sure garmin fixed it. Not gonna say it can't happen but I don't even give it a second thought.

Thanks for the reply guy's. I think I'll be OK with just using my handheld radio with 5-watts even when I attach my roof mounted VHF antenna which has a 3.4 db gain. I know of one guy using a 30-watt radio with a roof mounted antenna and he isn't having any problems. "dunkintn"....your probably correct.....Garmin may have fixed it with there newer rigs.
The one local guy that fried his Garmin, which happened some years ago, said they didn't fix his but sent him a re-conditioned unit.
I previously stated: I read the Astro 320 owner's manual and there is nothing in it about using VHF communication radio's close to there GPS unit.
Well....when re-reading the manual , I did find a caution concerning this. It read: Avoid using a high-powered radio (greater than 5-watts) in close proximity to the Astro. It may cause irreversible damage to the Astro. Don't know how I missed that before but I did.

One of my buddies has fried two garmin units. The first (220) was while using a large marine unit on his kubota, 25 watts maybe?
The second (320) was while only using handheld 5 watt units. The antennas are only a foot or two apart with the garmin in a pocket and the radio up to talk, so that may have contributed. Damage was not rapid on the second unit, just a gradual loss of range for reading collars over a period of a couple months. Garmin said that the radio was the problem though, and no replacement. Use caution.

Back