Pair of quads

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
Have had a couple of memorable stands recently.

A pair of quads. That is, killed four coyotes on one stand. Twice. Not on the same hunt, but on two hunts in a row. Which, I don’t remember ever having quads two hunts in a row before, think this is probably the first time I’ve seen it.

The first hunt was three weeks ago, with my old partner, Tim. We were having one heckuva day of coyote calling. Pulling up to make the last stand of the day, we had already put 9 coyotes in the truck for the day, but I told Tim we better get one more on this last stand to make it an even 10 for the day.

Wind was blowing about 15 MPH, Tim sat by the caller, I posted about 125 yards downwind. Almost three minutes into the jackrabbit blues, a coyote goes by right in front of me, then peels off heading away from me to get straight downwind of the caller. I started tracking him in the scope, cross hairs just zigging a bit when it zagged, so I’m holding off on the shot. Then I see movement out of my left eye. Another coyote running by right in front of me, so I came off the one I'd been trying to shoot at and rolled up the close one. That made 10 for the day and I was a happy camper .

A minute later, another one comes trots up the wind towards the call, it checked up to taste the breeze about 150 yards straight out from me, so I dumped it.

Two down for the stand, 11 fore the day, this is fun!

Couple minutes later, here comes another, I saw it catch the scent of the one I'd most recently killed, it ran right up to the dead one, put it's head down for a sniff and I dropped it right on top of the other one.

Three down for the stand, 12 for the day, this is way fun!

Called the stand off at 17 minutes. I had to pizz. So I empty my chamber, stand up, shoulder the rifle and proceed to relieve myself. Just getting into full flow and a coyote comes trotting out of nowhere only 60 yards away, straight upwind. Still in full flow, I unshoulder my rifle and work the bolt to chamber a round. Coyote sees the movement and starts to move off. Now just dribbling a few drops (on my boots...), I track her in the scope for a few strides and skid her into a pile.

Four down, 13 for the day, who has more fun?!

20151030_Coyote%20Hunt-4W.jpg

Picked up four more on a few stands the next morning before the wind got too ferocious and we headed home.

20151030_Coyote%20Hunt-12W.jpg

So… the very next hunt comes along. This was last weekend.

Hunting with old friends, Steve and Pete.

We did pretty good on the calling, lots of coyotes coming to the call on Saturday. Had another quad on Sunday though!

Set up in a patch of sagebrush in a mostly open draw. Minute into the jackrabbit, w have a coyote a few hundred yards off to our hard left, just standing there. It stood looking for a minute, then started coming in at a slow trot. When it got about 100 yards out and stopped for another look, Pete dropped it clean. One down!

Couple minutes later, I spot one coming from hard right, up the gut of the draw. I started trying to bark it to a stop when it got to about 75 yards from me, but it spotted Steve and Pete further up and turned to leave. Luckily, it stopped for one more look and I drained it.

Shortly after that, I see another one up behind the other guys, not coming straight in, but going by up the hill 500 yards out. It continued to circle the high ground way out from us for quite awhile.

Meantime... Another one is coming up the draw, same path as the one I had just killed. It stopped and started to get hackled up over one I'd already killed and I lit the fire on another round. Steve let one go at the exact same moment and two bullets simultaneously smashed that coyote to the ground. Almost on top of the other one.

Eventually, the one that had been circling way out there on the higher ground, was visible on a ridge top about 500 yards straight out. So I started playing with some different sounds. After a minute, it started to walk away. At that point, I hit the Lone Howl sound and it immediately stopped walking away and turned to look back towards us. Then I hit Babee Cottontail and it broke loose and started trotting in to the stand!

When it got to about 200 yards, it stopped and kept looking between the first coyote Pete had killed to start the stand, then looking over where Pete and Steve were sitting, then to the caller. After about a minute, it looked like it wasn't coming any closer and might be about to leave, so I took a shot. I thought I missed, the coyote just jumped a couple body lengths and stood there again, then Pete shot and it took off on a death sprint and piled up. I was sure I missed. But Pete insisted I had hit it and he was just finishing it off. Turns out it had two holes in it, so I guess I did hit it.

Anyway, four coyotes on one stand, second hunt in a row, everyone got in on the action, too much fun!

20151115_Hunt-7W.jpg

20151115_Hunt-18W.jpg

It’s been a good year so far.

-DAA

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great story! Taking that many coyotes is sure to help deer, antelope and bird population out. WHAT CALLER WERE YOU USING?????????? RUDY

Outstanding! Thanks for letting us ride along.

From your title, expected to read that you had resorted to a set of quad .50's to put the hurt on some troublesome coyotes.
wink.gif
grin.gif
Can't say I've ever heard of a set of quads, let alone two days running.

Regards,
hm

DAA,
Great job!!! I wish I could get close to that number in a year. Land access in the Midwest is difficult. Eastern dogs hard to get.

I don't ever recall anybody having two quads like that, Dave. That is truly unusual and a memorable event. Keep up the good work and keep up the nice posts.

Gotta get me some of them secret cigars and have Dave pizz on my shoes.
13 coyotes @ $50 a pop... I sure hope you're turning those in.

Dave's "pee n a bottle" beats any bacon recipe available. I think you're onto something Dave.
Nice shootin'. Really stackin' 'em up this year.

Originally Posted By: songdogDave's "pee n a bottle" beats any bacon recipe available. I think you're onto something Dave.
Nice shootin'. Really stackin' 'em up this year.

Since I'm not making any money on it anyway, and even considering my bladder is smaller than my prostate, production is never the less quite limited, I'll share my secret.

Asparagus. Eat it every day. Gives your pee amazing wildlife attractant qualities!

- DAA

Back