223 Barnes 45gr TSX on predators?

I don't, but have an opinion for what it's worth, based on using TSX in other calibers.

First, I consider the TSX a wonderful bullet for larger game from deer on up. It penetrates into tomorrow, but exits are sometimes tricky. Sometimes it's a tiny hole in and a tiny hole out. Other times the exit is larger and a few times, depending on where the animal is hit, has a large exit. So, the bullet is not always consistent with exit wounds, but it will certainly penetrate.

Next is price. It's definitely not cheap to shoot TSX compared to other bullets, and there's a lot of good conventional bullets that will work very well and be much cheaper.

I have found the TSX to be a very accurate bullet, something that is fairly unusual for a controlled expansion bullet.

Sorry I can't tell you "yes" that I have used it on predators, but I do have quite a bit of experience with the bullet in larger calibers on deer and antelope.

No experiences with the 45 gr TSX in 22 cal on predators.

But I have shot quite a few coyotes while deer hunting with bigger TSX and TTSX bullets. I did use the 80 gr TTSX bullets for calling coyotes with my 243 Win for a short period.

On the last day of the D-13 deer season in California this year I shot the coyote below with my Rem 260 using a Barnes 120 gr TTSX bullet.
003_4.jpg

There was a small hole going in and about a 1" hole going out.

None of the coyotes we have shot with our 243 Win, 260 Rem, 30-06 or 300 WSM with Barnes copper bullets had big exit holes. But everyone that I can remember were shot in the ribs.

As long as the 45 gr TSX bullet is going at a good speed it should work on predators.

With the Barnes bullets just because the exit hole is small doesn't mean that the bullet is not doing damage as it goes through the animal.

I've thought about trying them out but I never did. I did use some Lehigh 45gr controlled choas bullets and they worked pretty well.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThanks. Just exploring lead free options to comply with CA law...

I didn't consider the "lead-free" issue. I guess where a guy has to use non-lead bullets, then the TSX would be a good choice. It will be a bit more expensive to shoot though, but if you don't shoot a lot it may not matter.

Keep us posted what you decide on and how it works for you.

I have two deer down using 150 ttsx out of my 300 wsm both pencil hole in and out. I personally am getting away from the ttsx, expansion doesnt seem to be there unless you hit bone. Sorry doesnt apply to your 45gr question. Makes me think a 45gr will be fury friendly on coyotes and would be a great choice.

Originally Posted By: chrs_28I have two deer down using 150 ttsx out of my 300 wsm both pencil hole in and out. I personally am getting away from the ttsx, expansion doesnt seem to be there unless you hit bone. Sorry doesnt apply to your 45gr question. Makes me think a 45gr will be fury friendly on coyotes and would be a great choice.

How far deer the deer go before hitting the dirt ? Have you lost any animals the ttsx ?

I shoot TSX or TTSX in everything I shoot except for my varmint calibers. The only reason I don't shoot them in those is that I already have killer setups and just don't want to switch at this time.

The terminal velocity using Barnes TSX bullets is incredible and they are not designed, being a solid bullet, to explode and leave a huge exit hole. For that reason alone, I cannot se why they would not be an excellent bullet on coyotes.

If I did not already have an excellent set up in my 220 Swift etc. I would be all over them based on my experience with them in much larger calibers.

I have been using the 45gr XLC bullet for coyotes for quite a few years, primarily out of my 22 Hornet at 2850fps.

They work very well, usually small exits on broadside shots, and no exits on head-on shots. Better than any other bullet I've tried for coyotes in the Hornet.

I also use the TTSX exclusively for big game, since 1992. Again, I am am well satisfied with the performance.

Back