22LR ammo for squirrel

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHDirty Dog, where can I buy those HP tools? Dunno. I purchased mine about 5 years ago from a guy named D Rock over at RimfireCentral. It was about $85 shipped. Try a Google search. There are other tools, this design is capable of repeatable results, some other designs are based on "feel" (how hard you tap the die with a hammer).

I got the tool with the intention of making cheap bulk ammo more effective and more accurate. My primary targets were ground squirrels at the time, where ANY hit is a good hit, although head shots are a bonus.

Originally Posted By: GC
BTW,
The Mini Mag wasnt altered? That's factory expansion? They do seem to do very well from the various test I have seen posted. Unfortunately Mini Mags are scarce as hens teeth around here. I have a couple semi auto handguns that absolutely love them. Not altered, no need. They performed perfect right out of the box. I did try deepening the HP a little and the result was sheared petals with the solid base continuing to penetrate. Not as effective in small game as an expanding bullet that stays intact. I had similar results with the Remington Goldens and Win 333/555: deepening the HP only resulted in sheared HP petals.

Is my re-sizing tool "worth it"? Well I found it does reduce fliers in bulk ammo a little but it doesn't turn bulk ammo into match grade ammo.

It does turn round nose solids into HPs for hunting. My rifles like Blazer 40gr solids best for accuracy of all the bulk ammos, so I bought a couple of cases of it before the run on ammo. With this tool I can turn the cheap and accurate solids into HPs pretty quickly, if I want to. Or I can turn match grade Eley Tenex into HPs for match grade accurate hunting. For fun. Whatever.

Unfortunately here in CA we're going 100% lead free by 2019 so I'll never use this as intended. I may sell it in a few years, but not yet.

Originally Posted By: GCIf I felt that I would occasionally shoot them through the chest I'd go hollow point. Brain shots bullet type doesn't matter, chest shots the hollow point will be more effective. Lead roundnose through the chest will occasionally leave a squirrel enough energy left to crawl into a hole and be lost. Especially if the accuracy difference favors the hollow point or is very close.

That's my experience too.

I used to use lead round nose and after several body shots over a period of time, since head shots are not always easy. Squirrels many times will run or can even get in a hole before they die. I like dropping them right there and so I switched to hollow points and haven't looked back. I still take head shots when I can, but a body shot squirrel with a hollow point isn't going anywhere.

I just ordered a new .22lr for myself to enjoy with my daughter and her rifle along with me and my new rifle. I have a new LEFT HANDED CZ 452 American .22lr

Can't wait to get it!

If it is anything like my buddy's then you will be really happy with it. I have watched him mop up a lot of ground squirrels using the RWS Hollow points in the past couple years.

Back